Electric Circuits problem - Superposition

In summary, the homework problem asks to find Vo and Io using the superposition principle. The attempt at a solution involved shutting down the independent 30V and 6A sources separately, leading to Vo values of 8V and 2V respectively. The final Vo is then calculated by summing the two values, resulting in a final answer of 10V. However, the correct answer is 17.99V, with Io being 1.799A. More details are required to explain how the 6A source was dealt with and the solution was obtained.
Victor Feitosa

Homework Statement

The problemas statement is:
"Find Vo and Io by the superposition principle"

Homework Equations

Nodal Analysis and The Superposition Theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I tried to shutdown first the independent 30V tension font. It led me to Vo = 8V.
Then, turning off the 6A current font, led me to Vo = 2V.
So the final Vo will be equation the sum of the two others: 10V.

The correct anwser is 17,99V(so, Io = 1,799A).
Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-06-15-18-45-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-06-15-18-45-15.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to show some more details about your attempt, particularly the part concerning the 6 A source operating alone (that is, when the 30 V source is suppressed). Show your work.

Likes NascentOxygen and Victor Feitosa
Just got it! Finally.
I'll upload my answer and mark topic as solve

?temp_hash=0b13011f1c58402b92ce58eb7fd40045.jpg

Attachments

• 1466036280261-1022145760.jpg
    1466036280261-1022145760.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 545

FAQ: Electric Circuits problem - Superposition

What is the principle of superposition in electric circuits?

The principle of superposition states that the total voltage or current in a circuit is equal to the sum of each individual voltage or current from each source. In other words, the effects of each source can be calculated separately and then added together to determine the overall behavior of the circuit.

How is the principle of superposition applied in solving electric circuit problems?

To apply the principle of superposition in solving electric circuit problems, you must consider each source in the circuit separately and calculate the voltage or current it produces. Then, simply add all the individual voltages or currents together to determine the total voltage or current in the circuit.

What are the limitations of using the principle of superposition in electric circuits?

The principle of superposition can only be applied to linear circuits, meaning that the relationship between voltage and current must be linear. Additionally, it can only be applied to circuits with independent sources, as dependent sources are affected by the overall circuit behavior.

How does superposition affect the analysis of circuits with multiple sources?

Superposition simplifies the analysis of circuits with multiple sources by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. By considering each source separately, the complexity of the circuit is reduced, making it easier to solve.

Are there any real-life applications of the principle of superposition in electric circuits?

Yes, the principle of superposition is used in various real-life applications, such as in electronic devices, power systems, and communication systems. It allows engineers to design and analyze complex circuits with multiple sources, making it a valuable tool in the field of electrical engineering.