Electric field and a grounded conducting sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the incorporation of a uniform electric field and a grounded conducting sphere of radius ##a##. The potential function for the electric field in the ##z##-direction is given, as well as the boundary conditions for the sphere. A perturbation scheme is then used to find the perturbation potential and total potential, which are derived using Legendre polynomials. The conversation also mentions the importance of keeping the coordinate system straight and provides advice for verifying the solution at infinity.
Dustinsfl
I feel like I need to incorporate ##\mathbf{E} = E\hat{\mathbf{z}}## but I don't know what to do with it.

A grounded conducting sphere of radius ##a## is placed in an (effectively) infinite uniform electric field ##\mathbf{E} = E\hat{\mathbf{z}}##. The potential for a uniform electric field in the ##z##-direction is given by ##Er\cos\theta##. The boundary condition at the surface of the grounded sphere is that
$$
u(a,\theta) = 0.
$$

Use a perturbation scheme for the total potential
$$
u(r,\theta) = Er\cos\theta + u'
$$
to solve for the perturbation potential ##u'##.

Using our giving condition, we have ##u(a,\theta) = Ea\cos\theta + u'(a,\theta) = 0##. That is,
$$
u'(a,\theta) = -Ea\cos\theta = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{A_n}{a^{n + 1}}P_n(\cos\theta).
$$
From our previous work, we know that we only need the ##n = 1## term. Therefore, ##-Ea\cos\theta = \frac{A_1}{a^2} P_1(\cos\theta)\Rightarrow -Ea^3 = A_1##. We have that the perturbation potential is
$$
u'(r,\theta) = -Ea^3\frac{\cos\theta}{r^2}
$$
and that the total potential is
$$
u(r,\theta) = Er\cos\theta\left(1 - \frac{a^3}{r^3}\right).
$$
##P_n## is the nth Legendre polynomial.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dustinsfl said:
I feel like I need to incorporate ##\mathbf{E} = E\hat{\mathbf{z}}## but I don't know what to do with it.

E=Ez is in the potential function Er cos theta.

aralbrec said:
E=Ez is in the potential function Er cos theta.

So everything is good to go then?

Thanks.

Dustinsfl said:
So everything is good to go then?

Yeah I think so. Compute E from E=-∇V to check. Your boundary conditions are V=0 on the sphere and E=Ez at infinity.

aralbrec said:
Yeah I think so. Compute E from E=-∇V to check. Your boundary conditions are V=0 on the sphere and E=Ez at infinity.

$$
\vec{E} = -E\cos\theta\left(1 + \frac{2a^3}{r^3}\right)\hat{e_r} + E\sin\theta\left(1 - \frac{a^3}{r^3}\right)\hat{e_{\theta}}.
$$

When r=a, I don't get 0, and at infinity, I have ##-E\cos\theta\hat{e_r} + E\sin\theta\hat{e_{\theta}} ##

It's important to keep the coordinate system straight because it is not quite aligned in a standard way.

Your potential solution:

u(r,θ) = Er cos θ (1 - a3 / r3)

is zero on the conducting sphere (at r=a, any θ) so that part checks out.

For your calculation of E=-∇V:

E =−Ecosθ(1+2a3/r3)er + Esinθ(1−a3/r3)

you have to be very careful with the coordinate system, which was chosen when the potential function was decided.

Remember E = Ek with potential Er cos θ

This is valid if you draw on a piece of paper the yz plane with z on the vertical axis, y on the horizontal axis and x coming out of the paper. The E field is constant and directed upward, so if you calculate potential from the origin, you only have to integrate along the z axis. Measure θ clockwise from the z axis, then the potential at coordinate (r,θ) is Ercosθ

So in your field equation, er is in the yz plane and θ is measured clockwise from the vertical z axis.

So, your final vector E field is not using standard er and unit vectors. I would convert them back to cartesian so everyone is on the same page.

Find what er and are in terms of j,k (unit vectors along the y and z axes), substitute into your E vector equation to get cartesian coordinates and then verify the field is what it should be at infinity.

Edit: sorry I've been looking at this problem piecemeal, coming back to it once in a while. The last step will have to be recognition of the symmetry to generalize the solution outside the yz plane. I hope that's right, it's been ages since I did this stuff which is part of the reason I am here -- please check to make sure it all makes sense.

Edit2: sorry dustin, one more time, this time with correct advice. The coordinate system is spherical, θ is the angle from the z axis, r is r. Potential is consistent in 3d in spherical coordinates so ∇V can be computed in spherical coordinates to get the 3d solution directly. I was misled in my haste into thinking in 2d and seeing what looked like cylindrical coordinates. Change E to cartesian or change E=Ek to spherical to see if the solution is correct at large distance.

Last edited:
aralbrec said:
It's important to keep the coordinate system straight because it is not quite aligned in a standard way.

Your potential solution:

is zero on the conducting sphere (at r=a, any θ) so that part checks out.

For your calculation of E=-∇V:

E =−Ecosθ(1+2a3/r3)er + Esinθ(1−a3/r3)

you have to be very careful with the coordinate system, which was chosen when the potential function was decided.

Remember E = Ek with potential Er cos θ

This is valid if you draw on a piece of paper the yz plane with z on the vertical axis, y on the horizontal axis and x coming out of the paper. The E field is constant and directed upward, so if you calculate potential from the origin, you only have to integrate along the z axis. Measure θ clockwise from the z axis, then the potential at coordinate (r,θ) is Ercosθ

So in your field equation, er is in the yz plane and θ is measured clockwise from the vertical z axis.

So, your final vector E field is not using standard er and unit vectors. I would convert them back to cartesian so everyone is on the same page.

Find what er and are in terms of j,k (unit vectors along the y and z axes), substitute into your E vector equation to get cartesian coordinates and then verify the field is what it should be at infinity.

Edit: sorry I've been looking at this problem piecemeal, coming back to it once in a while. The last step will have to be recognition of the symmetry to generalize the solution outside the yz plane. I hope that's right, it's been ages since I did this stuff which is part of the reason I am here -- please check to make sure it all makes sense.

Edit2: sorry dustin, one more time, this time with correct advice. The coordinate system is spherical, θ is the angle from the z axis, r is r. Potential is consistent in 3d in spherical coordinates so ∇V can be computed in spherical coordinates to get the 3d solution directly. I was misled in my haste into thinking in 2d and seeing what looked like cylindrical coordinates. Change E to cartesian or change E=Ek to spherical to see if the solution is correct at large distance.

I am sort of confused since I am math not physics. What do you mean?

Dustin, my bad.. I did not pay close enough attention to what you were doing. The only part of my post that is accurate is "edit2"; I left the rest in there because I saw you were reading it before I edited.

Let's try again. When you said your E field might not match up I took a closer look at how your coordinate system was defined.

You start with E=Ez and arrive at a potential V=Er cos θ for that field. It sounds like you are unsure about this idea because you weren't aware that all the information about the E field is encoded in that potential function.

The reason is, in the electrostatic situation, ∇×E = 0 which means E can be uniquely determined from a potential function and E = -∇V. The potential function is a path integral V = -∫E.dl along any path (an irrotational field means the path doesn't matter). That is the review for a math guy.

To arrive at the potential function, there was a path integral from the origin to point (r,θ). Since E only has a component along the z axis, only the distance along the z axis matters in the path and the distance traveled along the z axis to the point (r,θ) is r cos θ. Since the magnitude of E is constant, the potential function for the field is V=Er cos θ.

Notice that r is distance from the origin and θ is angle from the z axis rotated clockwise. I was looking at this in the yz plane but it generalizes fine to three dimensions using spherical coordinates. The potential function is the same in 3d, r is compatible with the spherical coordinate system r, θ is the angle from the z-axis, compatible with spherical coords. This you clearly already knew so this was more for me when you said there might be a problem.The boundary conditions we had to check was V=0 on the sphere and E=Ez at infinity.

Your solution has potential function:

which is everywhere zero on the sphere (r=a) so that checks out.To check the field at large distances, calculate E=-∇V to which you came up with:

E =−Ecosθ(1+2a3/r3)er + Esinθ(1−a3/r3)You can see the E field becomes independent of r fairly quickly as you move away from the sphere.

Next convert to cartesian by noting z = cosθ er - sinθ

If you factor the above and set r large, you'll see you end up with E=EzSolutions to ∇2V = 0 for the region between the sphere and infinity are unique. The boundary conditions are V=0 at r=a and E=Ez at infinity (I justify using E field as boundary conditions by looking at Green's function for electrostatics, which specifies a boundary in terms of V and ∂V/∂n (E)). The part where you say you only need n=1 term I don't know about -- if not true you only have part of the solution.

Edit: there is a problem with the sign of the potential function and that is why the direction of E doesn't line up. V = negative integral of E along the path.

Last edited:
Thanks I understand now. I can see that everything checks outs. Do you know how I can plot the E field in Mathematica? There is a vector plot option, but when I followed the instructions in find selected function, I didn't get anything remotely correct.

Related to Electric field and a grounded conducting sphere

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of electric forces on charged particles. It is represented by a vector and is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C).

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by charged particles, such as electrons or protons, that exert forces on each other. It can also be created by electrically charged objects, such as a charged conducting sphere, that generate an electric field in their surroundings.

3. What is a grounded conducting sphere?

A grounded conducting sphere is an object made of a material, such as metal, that allows electric charges to move freely. When a conducting sphere is grounded, it is connected to the Earth, which acts as a large reservoir for electric charge. This results in the electric potential of the sphere being equal to the potential of the Earth, making the sphere electrically neutral.

4. How does a grounded conducting sphere interact with an electric field?

A grounded conducting sphere will experience a redistribution of electric charge when placed in an external electric field. The electric charges within the sphere will rearrange themselves in such a way that the electric field inside the sphere is zero. This means that the electric potential inside the sphere is constant and equal to the potential of the Earth.

5. What is the significance of a grounded conducting sphere in practical applications?

A grounded conducting sphere is commonly used in electrical engineering to shield sensitive equipment from external electric fields. It is also used in lightning protection systems, as the large capacitance between the sphere and the Earth can help dissipate the electric charge from a lightning strike. Additionally, it is used in electrostatic experiments to demonstrate the properties of electric fields and electric potential.

Back