Electric Field at a point inside 2 semi circles

In summary, The problem involves finding the electric field at a point inside two semi circles, one with a charge of -3 micro Coulombs and the other with +3 micro Coulombs. The radius between the point and the circle is 0.2 meters. The equation used is ∫kdq/r2 and the advice given is to use superposition and add the fields from each semi circle. The question of whether the field would be 0 if both charges were either positive or negative is raised.
A Shoto

Homework Statement

I have this picture http://i.imgur.com/ek2N1dL.png
I have to find the electric field at the point inside 2 semi circles. The left semi circle has a charge of -3 micro Coulombs and the right one has +3 micro coulombs. The radius between the point and the circle is 0.2 meters.

Homework Equations

Electric field = ∫kdq/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know what the FBD looks like and how to solve a problem for one semi circle alone but adding that other piece is really throwing me off. What should I keep in mind when solving this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use superposition. Find the field from each semicircle, then just add them up.

Well, I'm really doubting myself here. I would want to say 0... but wouldn't that be only if they were both positive or both negative...?

Related to Electric Field at a point inside 2 semi circles

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charged particle has on other charged particles in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is the electric field at a point inside 2 semi circles calculated?

The electric field at a point inside 2 semi circles can be calculated using the superposition principle. This involves calculating the electric field at the point due to each semi circle separately and then adding these two fields together vectorially.

What factors affect the magnitude of the electric field at a point inside 2 semi circles?

The magnitude of the electric field at a point inside 2 semi circles is affected by the distance from the point to the semi circles, the charges of the particles creating the field, and the geometry of the semi circles.

How does the direction of the electric field at a point inside 2 semi circles change?

The direction of the electric field at a point inside 2 semi circles changes depending on the position of the point with respect to the semi circles. It will point towards or away from the semi circles depending on the charges and geometry of the system.

What is the significance of the electric field at a point inside 2 semi circles?

The electric field at a point inside 2 semi circles is important as it helps us understand how charged particles interact with each other and their surroundings. It also plays a crucial role in many technological applications, such as in the functioning of electronic devices.