Electric Field at a Point Near a Charged Rectangular Plate

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the vector equation for the electric field at any point in space given an arbitrary curve or surface with a total charge of Q. Two problems are also mentioned, one involving finding the vector field for a unit circle and the other involving finding the electric field at a perpendicular distance from the center of a rectangular plate with uniformly distributed charge. The first problem is solved by using the gradient and taking into account symmetry, while the second problem remains unsolved. The conversation also mentions the use of symmetry in reducing the problem to pointlessness, and a source is provided for finding the vector equation for the electric field for a charged ring.
Harrisonized

Homework Statement

Given an arbitrary curve or surface with a total charge of Q, find the vector equation for the electric field at any point in space.

Homework Equations

dE = 1/(4πε₀) dq /r2

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem 1

Take the unit circle on the plane, for example. Find the vector equation for the electric field at a point (x0,y0).

The unit circle on the plane can be parametrized by
x = r cos θ
y = r sin θ

or alternatively,

r = √(x2+y2)

I know that the electric field lines generated are normal to such a curve. Therefore, if I take the gradient:

∇r(x,y) = 1/r*(x,y)

I get the unit normal vector. The only way I know how to do this problem is by letting Q be concentrated in the middle of the circle to obtain

E = 1/(4πε₀) Q /r2 * 1/r*(x,y)

Unfortunately, this is wrong for the interior of the sphere.

I'm not really sure what to do. I've looked in so many textbooks, and none of them tell how to actually find the vector field E. All the sources I found only concern themselves with finding |E| at a point specified from the "object" of charge, and most of them just use symmetry to reduce the problems to pointlessness.

Any help is appreciated. If possible, please link me to some source that provides the method of finding such fields.

Problem 2

Find the electric field at a point a perpendicular distance a away from center a rectangular plate of uniformly distributed charge. The rectangular plate has dimensions m*n and no thickness.

2. Homework Equations

dE = 1/(4πε₀) dq /r2

The Attempt at a Solution

Let dq = σ dx dy, where σ = Q/(mn), Q is the total charge of the plate.

Let the center of the plate be the origin of x and y. Then:
r=√(x2+y2+a2)

By symmetry, the x and y components along the direction of the plane cancel out. Let θ represent the angle between a and rx and φ represent the angle between a and ry. Then:

dE = 1/(4πε₀) dq /r2
dE = 1/(4πε₀) σ dx dy /r2 * cos θ * cos φ
dE = 1/(4πε₀) σ dx dy /(x2+y2+a2) * a/√(a2+x2) * a/√(a2+y2)
Integrate...
... and...
Wolfram Alpha: (No result found in standard mathematical functions.)

:(

Also, how do you do this for any point (without assuming an infinite plane)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found the solution to Problem 1.

http://www.physics.buffalo.edu/~sen/documents/field_by_charged_ring.pdf

Anyone want to help me on Problem 2?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Electric Field at a Point Near a Charged Rectangular Plate

1. What is an electric field equation?

An electric field equation is a mathematical representation of the force that is exerted on a charged particle by an electric field. It is used to calculate the strength and direction of the electric field at a given point.

2. What are the units of an electric field equation?

The units of an electric field equation are usually in Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) or Volts per meter (V/m).

3. How do electric field equations relate to Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Electric field equations use this concept to calculate the electric field at a given point due to a single charge or a distribution of charges.

4. Can electric field equations be used for both point charges and continuous charge distributions?

Yes, electric field equations can be used for both point charges and continuous charge distributions. For point charges, the equation is simpler, but for continuous charge distributions, the equation involves integration to account for the distribution of charges.

5. How are electric field equations used in practical applications?

Electric field equations have many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices, the operation of electric motors, and the analysis of electric circuits. They are also used in the study of electrostatics and electromagnetism in physics and engineering.

Back