Electric field between 2 objects and electric force on object?

In summary, the electric field is uniform near the middle of the plate, where the field lines are quite uniform.
megabassdude

Homework Statement

Suppose two metal plates are separated by 1.00 cm. These plates are wide:
at least 0.5 m square. We hook wires from a battery to each plate, so that there is a
potential of 500 volts between them.

Homework Equations

(A) Find the electric field between the plates, in
the middle where the field is quite uniform.

(B) Suppose we introduce a small object
which has +2.0 nC (nanocoulombs) of charge on it, placing it between the plates, near
the middle where you just found the electric field. Determine the electric force on this
object.

The Attempt at a Solution

(A)

I'm guessing I use the formula VAB = Ed.

Step 1

1.00 cm converted to meters = 0.01

Step 2

VAB = Ed.
500=(E)(0.01).

E = 5.0 x 104 V/m.

Does the width of the plate have any influence though?

(B)

I can't figure out how to do part (B)

I'm thinking I use the formula F = qE.

Step 1

+2.0 nanoCoulomb's converted to Coulombs = +2.0 x 10-9 C

Step 2

F = qE.
F =(2.0 x 10-9 C)(5.0 x 104 V/m)
F = 1.0 x 10-4 N

Again does width of the plate have any influence?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
megabassdude said:

Homework Statement

Suppose two metal plates are separated by 1.00 cm. These plates are wide:
at least 0.5 m square.
We hook wires from a battery to each plate, so that there is a potential of 500 volts between them.

Homework Equations

(A) Find the electric field between the plates, in the middle where the field is quite uniform.
Again does width of the plate have any influence?
Welcome to PF!

The electric field is uniform far from the edges of the plates, where the electric field lines are uneven and curved. In this problem, the plates are wide so the area near the edges is small compared to the total. The edge effect does not influence the surface charge density far from the edges, consequently, neither the electric field in the middle.

ehild

Attachments

• parplates.JPG
    parplates.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 423
Looks good to me - though the force and the electric field are both vectors and you have only given magnitudes. For completeness, you should say something about direction.

The setup describes a parallel plate capacitor - the width of the plates does affect the physics but not the bit you need: that is already accounted for in the electric field. The only effect is that the field is not uniform near the edge.

Note: +1nC charge in a 5V/m field experiences a 5nN force :)

Related to Electric field between 2 objects and electric force on object?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that electric charges have on each other. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Electric fields are created by electric charges and can be either attractive or repulsive.

2. How is the electric field between two objects calculated?

The electric field between two objects can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the object creating the field, and r is the distance between the two objects.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field between two objects?

The strength of the electric field between two objects is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the objects and the distance between them. The larger the charges and the smaller the distance, the stronger the electric field will be.

4. How does the electric force on an object change with distance?

The electric force on an object due to an electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the object and the source of the field. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases.

5. Can the electric force on an object be negative?

Yes, the electric force on an object can be negative. This occurs when the object has a charge that is opposite in sign to the charge creating the electric field. In this case, the electric force will be attractive, pulling the object towards the source of the field.