Electric field between two charged plates

In summary: What's the net flux through any closed surface when it doesn't contain a net charge?And when it does contain a net charge?When it does contain a net charge it's a non-zero and when it doesn't, it's zero right?Correct.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/667/efieldmm3.th.jpg

Can someone please explain to me why the electric field inside is double of what's the outside based on the picture above? I don't understand what the green and red line is...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The image can be seen full size at http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/667/efieldmm3.jpg

-EquinoX- said:

Homework Statement

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/667/efieldmm3.th.jpg

Can someone please explain to me why the electric field inside is double of what's the outside based on the picture above? I don't understand what the green and red line is...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get it either. What's the context? Is there some text explanation that goes along with it? You don't generally have E-field outside a capacitor, except for some fringe E at the edges. Unless they are immersing a capacitor in some already-existing E-field?

There's no explanation in the text and that's why I am asking...

Basically all I know is:

When two plate of different charge are placed near each other, the two E-fields between the plates add while the E-field outside the plate cancel.

But whyyyy? Which ones of which cancel out?

Looks like the red E fields are due to the positive charge on the left plate and the green E fields are due to the negative charge on the other plate. They should have coloured the charges to make that clearer.

The diagram is saying that, on the left side of the parallel plates, there is an E away (left) from the positive charges and an E toward (right) the negative charges. These tend to cancel out. At a distance large compared to the separation of the plates, they would completely cancel out making the E field zero.

-EquinoX- said:
There's no explanation in the text and that's why I am asking...

Basically all I know is:

When two plate of different charge are placed near each other, the two E-fields between the plates add while the E-field outside the plate cancel.

But whyyyy? Which ones of which cancel out?

Oh, I think I understand now. Have you learned how to use Maxwell's equations yet? Electric flux density and Gauss' Law? What's the net flux through any closed surface when it doesn't contain a net charge? And when it does contain a net charge?

When it does contain a net charge it's a non-zero and when it doesn't, it's zero right?

Delphi51 said:
Looks like the red E fields are due to the positive charge on the left plate and the green E fields are due to the negative charge on the other plate. They should have coloured the charges to make that clearer.

The diagram is saying that, on the left side of the parallel plates, there is an E away (left) from the positive charges and an E toward (right) the negative charges. These tend to cancel out. At a distance large compared to the separation of the plates, they would completely cancel out making the E field zero.

As far as I see the diagram it the one on the left cancels out with the right side

-EquinoX- said:
When it does contain a net charge it's a non-zero and when it doesn't, it's zero right?

Correct. So if you put a closed surface around the whole capacitor, the E-field outside the capacitor has to be what? And if you put a closed surface around just one of the plates...

FAQ: Electric field between two charged plates

1. What is an electric field between two charged plates?

The electric field between two charged plates is a region in space where a force is exerted on a charged particle due to the presence of two oppositely charged plates. This force is caused by the electric charges on the plates and is represented by the direction and strength of the electric field lines.

2. How is the strength of the electric field between two charged plates calculated?

The strength of the electric field between two charged plates is calculated by dividing the magnitude of the charge on one plate by the distance between the two plates. This value is also affected by the type of material the plates are made of and any insulating materials between them.

3. What is the direction of the electric field between two charged plates?

The direction of the electric field between two charged plates always points from the positively charged plate to the negatively charged plate. This direction can be visualized by imagining a positive test charge placed between the plates and observing the direction of the force it experiences.

4. How does the distance between the two charged plates affect the electric field?

The distance between the two charged plates affects the strength of the electric field. As the distance increases, the electric field decreases and vice versa. This is because the electric field lines between the plates become more spread out, resulting in a weaker overall field.

5. What is the role of the electric field between two charged plates in electronic devices?

The electric field between two charged plates is used in electronic devices to control the movement of charged particles, such as electrons. By adjusting the strength of the electric field, the speed and direction of the particles can be manipulated, allowing for the functioning of various electronic components such as capacitors and transistors.

Back