Electric field due to a flat circular disk

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to finding the electric field above the center of a flat circular disk of radius R. The speaker's initial approach involved a line integral, but it was determined that a surface integral was necessary. The speaker also mentions overcounting the area of the circle with their approach and suggests integrating in the radial direction instead.
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

Find the electric field at a distance z above the center of a flat circular disk of radius R

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt to solve this was take the line integral from the center of the circle to the edge. Then, knowing the circle is symmetrical, multiply it by 2*π*r to get the entire circle. 2πr of my line charges make a circle.
that approach worked when finding the electric field due to a ring. In which case I found the field due to a point charge, and multiplied it by the circumference because 2*π*r of the points made the ring. so 2*π*r of the lines should make the area...

but I am not getting the correct answer. On Chegg, They found the an equation for a ring (with radius dr) and integrated. I definitely see how that approach should work, it is the same idea as mine but in reverse (sort of).

My questions is: is my approach wrong? or am I making a mistake in my work?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what you mean by line integral. You need to do a surface integral. Are you saying that you calculated the contribution to the z-component of the field from a pie-shaped piece of angle Δφ? If that's what you did, and did correctly, it should work because all you have to do is set Δφ = 2π.

kuruman said:
I am not sure what you mean by line integral. You need to do a surface integral. Are you saying that you calculated the contribution to the z-component of the field from a pie-shaped piece of angle Δφ? If that's what you did, and did correctly, it should work because all you have to do is set Δφ = 2π.

when I did the field due to a ring, I found the E field due to a point and then multiplied it by the circumference.

I tried to do the same thing with the disk, except instead of a the E field from a point at the edge, I found the E field from all the points between the center and the edge in a straight line. Then I multiplied that line by 2πr

but what I am thinking now is that this approach would probably overcount the area of the circle. as there are less points closer to the center of the circle than the outer circle.

grandpa2390 said:
when I did the field due to a ring, I found the E field due to a point and then multiplied it by the circumference.
That does not work, unless you mean that you found the z component of the E field due to a point.

grandpa2390 said:
this approach would probably overcount the area of the circle. as there are less points closer to the center of the circle than the outer circle.
Quite so. And it is not just a question of overcounting the area as a whole, but of biasing towards the contribution from the central parts.

Having found the field due to a ring, integrate in the radial direction.

Related to Electric field due to a flat circular disk

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field due to a flat circular disk?

The formula for calculating the electric field due to a flat circular disk is E = σ/(2ε0)(1- cosθ), where σ is the surface charge density of the disk, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and θ is the angle between the point at which the electric field is being calculated and the normal vector of the disk.

2. How does the electric field vary with distance from the center of the disk?

The electric field due to a flat circular disk varies inversely with the distance from the center of the disk. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases. The electric field is also zero at the center of the disk.

3. Can the electric field due to a flat circular disk be negative?

Yes, the electric field due to a flat circular disk can be negative. This occurs when the distance from the center of the disk is greater than the radius of the disk and the angle θ is greater than 90 degrees. In this case, the electric field points in the opposite direction of the normal vector of the disk.

4. Does the size of the disk affect the electric field?

Yes, the size of the disk does affect the electric field. As the radius of the disk increases, the electric field at a given distance from the center of the disk decreases. This is because the surface charge density is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a decrease in the electric field strength.

5. How is the electric field affected by the charge on the disk?

The electric field due to a flat circular disk is directly proportional to the surface charge density of the disk. This means that as the charge on the disk increases, the electric field at a given distance from the center of the disk also increases. However, the distance from the center of the disk also affects the electric field, so the overall effect is not linear.