Electric field from infinite charges

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the electric field at the origin in a sequence of alternating charges, with a charge of -q located at x=a and a charge of +q at x=2a. The equation used to solve this problem is given, and the resulting infinite alternating sum is factored and simplified. The correct answer for the electric field is determined to be \frac{q\pi}{48\epsilon_0a^2}, with some clarification on the direction of the field.
DieCommie
Here is my problem: A charge of -q is located at x=a. Another charge, +q, is at x=2a. This sequence of alternating charges continues indefinitely in the +x direction. What is the electric field at the origin?

So I figure I need an infinite alternating sum. The equation to be used is [tex] \frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0r^2} [/tex] So the sum would be [tex] \sum \frac{(-1)^nq}{4\pi\epsilon_0(na)^2} [/tex]. Which can be factored to [tex] \frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0a^2} \sum \frac{(-1)^n}{n^2} [/tex]. (sum from n=one to n=infinity)

Is that correct so far? I am not sure how to do the sum... Any help please, Thx!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With some help from the math forum, I believe I have the answer..

[tex]-\frac{q\pi}{48\epsilon_0a^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Be careful about the signs here. A negative charge at x=a will create a field that points in the positive x-direction at the origin. Otherwise what you got is correct.

The sum is very famous. I think they'd expect you to know/memorize it and leave the derivation for a math class:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\pi^2}{6}[/tex]

EDIT: You just beat me to it. But it should be 4*6=24 in the denominator.

Last edited:
So, the field goes to a negative charge and because the first charge is strongest, the field will terminate there. Meaning at the origion it points to x=a.

But I did get a negative answer in the end, which makes me think that the field is coming to the origin.

I can see that you are right the field points in the +x, but mathmatically shouldn't i get a positive value for the field then?

EDIT- also, I got the sum as [tex]-\frac{\pi^2}{12}[/tex] (with help from the math forum). Your value i do memorize, but what i needed was slightly different... right? I needed an alternating sum, which is why I have a 48 in the denominator.

Last edited:
DieCommie said:
So, the field goes to a negative charge and because the first charge is strongest, the field will terminate there. Meaning at the origion it points to x=a.

But I did get a negative answer in the end, which makes me think that the field is coming to the origin.

I can see that you are right the field points in the +x, but mathmatically shouldn't i get a positive value for the field then?
Remember that the electric field is a vector. For a point charge:
[tex]\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0r^2}\hat r [/tex] where [itex]\hat r[/itex] points radially away from the charge. That would be in the negative x-direction if the charge is at x=a. So E points in the positive x direction if q is negative. You got it just the other way around.

EDIT- also, I got the sum as [tex]-\frac{\pi^2}{12}[/tex] (with help from the math forum). Your value i do memorize, but what i needed was slightly different... right? I needed an alternating sum, which is why I have a 48 in the denominator.
Erm, right. :blushing:

Well I got an F on the problem :( I guess [tex]-\frac{q\pi}{48\epsilon_0a^2}[/tex] is not the right answer, but I just can't figure out what I did wrong or how to get the right answer...

Thx for you help anyway...

Well, the field points in the +x direction, so the answer should be positive.
[tex]\frac{q\pi}{48\epsilon_0a^2}[/tex]
Which you get if you take care of all the signs carefully, but I think it's easier to just work with magnitude and determine the direction by inspection.

Anyway, that's the only minor error I can spot. You did mention the field pointed in the +x-direction in your answer, it's definitely not worth an F so I'm curious what comments you got on the answer

FAQ: Electric field from infinite charges

1. What is an electric field from infinite charges?

The electric field from infinite charges is a concept in physics that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in the presence of an infinite number of point charges. It is a vector field that represents the direction and magnitude of the force that would be exerted on a positive test charge placed at any point in the field.

2. How is the electric field from infinite charges calculated?

The electric field from infinite charges is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By summing up the forces from all the infinite point charges, the net electric field at any point can be determined.

3. What is the difference between an electric field from a single charge and an infinite number of charges?

The electric field from a single charge is a radial field that decreases with distance, while the electric field from an infinite number of charges is a more complex field that can vary in direction and magnitude at different points in space. Additionally, the electric field from a single charge is finite in magnitude, while the electric field from infinite charges can be infinitely large in some cases.

4. Can the electric field from infinite charges be shielded?

No, the electric field from infinite charges cannot be shielded. This is because the field is caused by an infinite number of point charges, so no matter how much shielding is placed around it, there will always be some point charges that are still contributing to the overall field.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electric field from infinite charges?

The electric field from infinite charges has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in the design of electronic circuits, the study of plasma physics, and the development of medical imaging techniques. It is also used in theoretical models to understand the behavior of particles in electric fields and to make predictions about their movement and interactions.

Back