What Is the Electric Field Inside a Sphere with Varying Charge Density?

In summary, the conversation discusses the electric field outside and inside of a sphere with a spherically symmetric charge density that varies as 1/r. The solution for the outside case is E = (1/4*pi*e)(Q/r^2), while for the inside case, using a Gaussian surface, the electric field is found to be E = (R^2)/(2εr^2). However, there was a mistake in the calculation of the enclosed charge, resulting in the incorrect solution. After correcting the mistake, the final solution for the inside case is E = (R^2)/ (2εr^2), which matches with the solution for the outside case.
shinobi20

Homework Statement

A sphere with radius R has a spherically symmetric charge density that varies as 1/r. What is the electric field outside and inside the sphere?

Homework Equations

E=kQ/r^2, ε=permitivity of free space, Q=total charge, ρ=charge density, dτ=infinitesimal volume

The Attempt at a Solution

For the case (outside), due to the concept that we can treat the sphere as a point charge, E = (1/4*pi*e)(Q/r^2).

For the case (inside), by using a Gaussian surface, we have E (4πr^2) = Q/ε. By evaluating Q = ∫ ρ dτ. I got E = (R^2)/(2εr^2).

Is this correct? Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see them matching up at r = R

Your inside case solution description isn't detailed enough for me to tell you where you derail.
And your problem description has holes in it. Is Q the total charge on the sphere? Is it a given ? What does that mean for the enclosed charge when r < R ?

Sorry, there was a typo, it should be E(4πr^2) = Q/ε and Q is the total charge. What I've done for the inside is, given ∫E⋅da = Q/ε, we have E(4πr^2) = Q/ε. But Q=∫ρ dτ and ρ=1/r. So Q=∫ dτ/r. Also, dτ= r^2 sinθ dr dθ d∅ is the change of the volume in spherical coordinates. So, Q=∫ r sinθ dr dθ d∅. 0≤r≤R, 0≤θ≤π, 0≤∅≤ 2π. By integration, I got Q = (4πR^2)/2. Thus, I got E = (R^2)/ 2εr^2.

Aha! Check your integration bounds for the contained charge when r < R ! Contained charge as a function of r is not a constant ! You confuse yourself by using the symbol Q both for the total charge and also for contained charge as a function of r...

Oh! So to rephrase, E(4 π r'^2) = Qenc/ε with Qenc as the enclosed charge in the gaussian surface. Qenc= ∫ r sinθ dr dθ d∅. 0≤r≤r', 0≤θ≤π, 0≤∅≤ 2π. Qenc = (4 π r'^2)/2. But this will cancel the r'. E(4 π r'^2) = (4 π r'^2)/2ε.

So nice it doesn't diverge for r to 0, and that now it matches at r = R !

BvU said:
Aha! Check your integration bounds for the contained charge when r < R ! Contained charge as a function of r is not a constant ! You confuse yourself by using the symbol Q both for the total charge and also for contained charge as a function of r...
I've done everything over and over, If I integrate, the two r' really cancel, is there something wrong here? I'm confused.

I think it's the right answer.

BvU said:
I think it's the right answer.
What do you mean right? But that will mean the electric field is not varying as we go from r=0 to r=r'. How is that?

It means area and charge contained grow with the same power of r . In another example (number 4 here) charge grows with r3 and area with r2, so E grows with r1

Thank you so much! That is kinda subtle.

Related to What Is the Electric Field Inside a Sphere with Varying Charge Density?

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged object placed in the field. It is a vector quantity and is measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb.

How do you calculate the electric field inside a sphere?

The electric field inside a sphere can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

What is the electric field inside a uniformly charged sphere?

If the charge is uniformly distributed throughout the sphere, then the electric field inside the sphere will also be uniform. This means that the magnitude and direction of the electric field will be the same at all points inside the sphere.

How does the electric field inside a sphere vary with distance?

The electric field inside a sphere varies inversely with the square of the distance from the center of the sphere. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

What is the direction of the electric field inside a sphere?

The electric field inside a sphere is always directed towards the center of the sphere. This is because the electric field lines always point from positive charges to negative charges.