Electric field inside an infinte slab of linear density charge of thickness d?

In summary, to find the electric field at point x1 in an infinite slab of charge with thickness d, with a charge density of rho(x)=Ax+B, you can use superposition and integrate the electric field due to an infinitely thin slab of charge. Be careful about the direction of the electric field on each side of the sheet.
ENgez

Homework Statement

An infinite slab of charge with thickness d (from x=0 to x=d) in the x direction has a charge density corrosponding to rho (x) = Ax+B where A and B are positive consants.
Find the electric field at point x1<d

Homework Equations

I know i have to find some guassian surface (a cube i guess) which has the same electric field on both planes which are perpandaculer to the x axis. i tried a few but all were wrong. can anyone point me in the right direction?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
ENgez said:
I know i have to find some guassian surface (a cube i guess) which has the same electric field on both planes which are perpandaculer to the x axis. i tried a few but all were wrong. can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sometimes Coulomb's law is more useful than Gauss' Law, but that is a needlessly complicated method, in this case.

Sometimes you can simplify the approach if you take a result of Coulomb's law or Gauss' Law in a simple case, and use that as a basis to solve a more complicated case. In other words, don't try to apply Coulomb's law or Gauss' Law directly for the full problem, but apply either indirectly, via superposition.

I recommend first deriving (or looking up) the electric field due to an infinitely thin slab of charge, and using superposition to integrate the value of electric field for the full slab of thickness d?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elesht.html

If you take this approach, be very careful about the direction of the electric field on each side of an infinitely thin sheet.

Last edited:
thanks, i used superposition. problem solved:).

Related to Electric field inside an infinte slab of linear density charge of thickness d?

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field inside an infinite slab of linear density charge?

The formula for calculating the electric field inside an infinite slab of linear density charge is E = σ/2ε₀, where σ is the linear charge density and ε₀ is the permittivity of free space.

2. How does the thickness of the slab affect the electric field inside?

The thickness of the slab does not affect the electric field inside. The electric field inside an infinite slab of linear density charge remains constant regardless of the thickness of the slab.

3. Is the electric field inside the slab uniform?

Yes, the electric field inside an infinite slab of linear density charge is uniform. This means that the magnitude and direction of the electric field are the same at all points inside the slab.

4. Does the direction of the electric field inside the slab depend on the direction of the linear charge density?

Yes, the direction of the electric field inside the slab is dependent on the direction of the linear charge density. The electric field points in the same direction as the linear charge density.

5. How does the electric field inside the slab change as the linear charge density changes?

The electric field inside the slab is directly proportional to the linear charge density. As the linear charge density increases, the electric field also increases. Similarly, as the linear charge density decreases, the electric field also decreases.

Back