Electric field inside conductor

In summary: Since the electric field inside a perfect conductor is zero, the electric flux through any closed surface inside the conductor must also be zero. This means that the net charge inside the conductor must also be zero, leading to the conclusion that there must be an equal distribution of charges inside the conductor to cancel off any external electric field. This holds true for any external field and any perfect conductor.
devd
The common explanation for the electric field inside a conductor being zero goes something like this:

Suppose a perfect conductor is placed in an electric field, the external field causes the free charges to redistribute in such a way, that the resulting internal field exactly cancels off the external field, inside the body of the conductor.

I understand that a perfect conductor has unlimited supply of free electrons. But, my question is, how do i prove that there always exists a distribution of charges inside a conductor, which produces the internal electric field required to cancel off ANY external electric field. In other words, is it always possible to find such a distribution, for ANY external field, for ANY perfect conductor? How do i prove that?

Physics news on Phys.org
devd said:
n other words, is it always possible to find such a distribution, for ANY external field, for ANY perfect conductor? How do i prove that?
While this is possible (it is a special boundary value problem to find a charge distribution that leads to the correct electric potential), you can go the opposite way: Any field inside a conductor would lead to a current flow. There cannot be a current flow in equilibrium, and a conductor with a finite electric resistance will reach equilibrium.

devd said:
The common explanation for the electric field inside a conductor being zero goes something like this:

Suppose a perfect conductor is placed in an electric field, the external field causes the free charges to redistribute in such a way, that the resulting internal field exactly cancels off the external field, inside the body of the conductor.

I understand that a perfect conductor has unlimited supply of free electrons. But, my question is, how do i prove that there always exists a distribution of charges inside a conductor, which produces the internal electric field required to cancel off ANY external electric field. In other words, is it always possible to find such a distribution, for ANY external field, for ANY perfect conductor? How do i prove that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss's_law

FAQ: Electric field inside conductor

1. What is an electric field inside a conductor?

The electric field inside a conductor is a region in which electric charges experience a force. It is created by the presence of other electric charges, and its strength is directly proportional to the charge and inversely proportional to the distance between the charges.

2. How is the electric field inside a conductor different from the electric field outside?

The main difference is that inside a conductor, the electric field is zero. This is because the charges within the conductor are free to move and will redistribute themselves to cancel out any external electric fields. Outside the conductor, the electric field can exist and vary in strength depending on the distance from the charge.

3. Does the shape or size of a conductor affect the electric field inside?

Yes, the shape and size of a conductor can affect the electric field inside. For example, a spherical conductor will have a uniform electric field inside, while a cylindrical or irregularly shaped conductor may have a non-uniform electric field. The size of the conductor can also affect the strength of the electric field, with a larger conductor having a weaker electric field compared to a smaller one.

4. Can the electric field inside a conductor change over time?

Yes, the electric field inside a conductor can change over time. This can happen if the external electric field changes, causing the charges within the conductor to redistribute. It can also change if the conductor is moved or rotated, altering its shape and affecting the electric field inside.

5. What is the purpose of studying the electric field inside a conductor?

Studying the electric field inside a conductor is important for understanding the behavior of electrical systems and devices. It can help with designing efficient circuits, determining the capacitance of a capacitor, and analyzing the behavior of charged particles within a conductor. It is also a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and has various applications in fields such as engineering and physics.