Electric field, magnetic flux , potetial difference

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a positively charged particle is accelerated by a potential difference V between two parallel plates with a small hole. The region above the plates has a uniform electric field E and magnetic flux density B, perpendicular to each other. The ratio of E/B is an important factor in determining the force on the charged particle. The conversation also mentions the equations for electric and magnetic forces, as well as the concept of potential energy and kinetic energy. The importance of understanding these concepts in solving the problem is emphasized.
oportunity

Homework Statement

As shown in the figure below, potential difference V exists between two parallel plates(a,b) that have a small hole. Uniform electric field E and magnetic flux density B exist in the region above the plates, and are perpendicular to each other. The directionof E is parallel to this page and plate b. The directionof B is perpendicular to this page from back to front. A positiely charged particle of charged q and mass m, initially at res in the hole of plate a, is accelerated by potential difference V so that it enters te region above the plate perpendiculary to E and B and travels straight through the region.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/442/imagenq4.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/442/imagenq4.png/

What is the ratio E/B?Thanks

Please tell me how i put images in the post.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Great - so where did you get stuck?
Do you know the equation that relates the force on a charged particle due to electric and magnetic fields?
Do you know how to relate the kinetic energy a charge gains when it falls through a potential difference of V?

you mean lorentz force?

No, i don't know. please tell me.

this is really important. help please.

Are you not doing a course in elecromagnetism that you have notes for? Go read them?

The voltage is the electric potential energy per unit charge ... when the charge travels between the plates, then, it loses potential energy [itex]qV[/itex] and gains kinetic energy - what's the equation? You can do this.

The electric field strength is the force per unit charge ... so [itex]\vec{F}_E = q\vec{E}[/itex]

For the magnetic field, only moving charges experience a force: [itex]\vec{F}_B = r(\vec{v} \times \vec{B})[/itex]

Do you know how to evaluate a cross product? (Hint - v and B are at right angles: it's the right-hand slap rule.)

Now all you need is Newton's Laws.

i get it, thanks a lot.

Related to Electric field, magnetic flux , potetial difference

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles in its vicinity. It is represented by a vector and is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C).

2. How is electric field strength related to distance?

According to Coulomb's Law, the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two charged particles. This means that as distance increases, the electric field strength decreases.

3. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a specific area. It is represented by the Greek letter phi (Φ) and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

4. How is magnetic flux related to magnetic field strength?

Magnetic flux is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field and the area through which it passes. This means that as the magnetic field strength increases, so does the magnetic flux.

5. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is measured in units of volts (V) and represents the amount of work per unit charge required to move a charged particle between two points.