Electric field of a non-conducting shell

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with a physics problem involving finding the electric field in different regions of a hollow spherical non-conducting shell with a given charge density. The attempt at a solution involves using equations and calculations to find the electric field in each region, with the final answers being confirmed as correct.
motyapa

Homework Statement

Not sure if I'm doing this problem correctly (no answer key for these practice problems). I just want to check with people that know this material well enough.

A hollow spherical non-conducting shell of inner radius a and outer radius b carries charge density p = C/r^2 in the region a =< r =< b. Find the electric field in the following regions

r < a
a < r < b
r > b

Homework Equations

[/B]
[tex] \varepsilon_0\int E \cdot dA = Qenc [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
for r < a

Qenc = 0 so E = 0

for a < r < b

[tex] Qenc = \int _a^r pdV[/tex]

Volume of a sphere with radius r [tex] 4/3 \pi r^3 [/tex]

so then [tex] dV = 4\pi r^2 dr[/tex]

which means [tex] Qenc = \int_a^r C/r^2 4\pi r^2 dr[/tex] or [tex] \int_a^r4C \pi dr [/tex]

Solving I get [tex] Qenc = 4\pi C (r-a) [/tex]

Now that I have Qenc I can use

[tex] \varepsilon_0\int E \cdot dA = Qenc [/tex]

using a gaussian surface of a sphere with radius r, I do

[tex] \varepsilon_0EA = 4\pi C (r-a) [/tex]

A = 4\pi r^2 so that leaves me with

[tex] E = C(r-a)/r^2\varepsilon_0 [/tex]

for r > b

I used a similar process except I did

[tex] Qenc = \int _a^b pdV[/tex]

making [tex] Qenc = 4\pi C (b-a) [/tex]

so then [tex] E = C(b-a)/r^2\varepsilon_0[/tex]while my answers make sense to me, I'd like to make sure I'm not making any mistakes because this question is harder than anything I've done so far!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is correct, nice work!

Related to Electric field of a non-conducting shell

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is a non-conducting shell?

A non-conducting shell, also known as a dielectric shell, is a material that does not allow electrical charges to flow freely through it. This means that it does not conduct electricity and can be used to insulate and protect charged particles.

3. How is the electric field of a non-conducting shell calculated?

The electric field of a non-conducting shell can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell. This equation assumes a point charge at the center of the shell.

4. What is the relationship between the electric field inside and outside of a non-conducting shell?

Inside a non-conducting shell, the electric field is zero as the charges are evenly distributed on the surface of the shell. Outside the shell, the electric field follows the inverse square law, meaning it decreases with the square of the distance from the center of the shell.

5. How does the thickness of a non-conducting shell affect the electric field?

The thickness of a non-conducting shell does not affect the electric field as long as the charge remains evenly distributed on the surface. This is because the electric field only depends on the distance from the center of the shell, not the thickness of the shell itself.