Electric Field of a quarter ring

Zayan
Homework Statement
When calculating electric field of a quarter ring, putting limits from 0 to π/2 gives field lambda/4πER but when I put the limits as -theta1 to theta 2 taking theta from the middle symmetric axis,it gives a different value= lambda/2√2πER. Why does changing limits change the field?
Relevant Equations
dE=Integral kdq/r²
IMG20240624003952.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Charged arc.png
Define your starting and ending angles conventionally counterclockwise with respect to the positive x-axis as shown in the figure on the right.
Then $$\begin{align} & dE_x=\frac{k\lambda}{R}\cos\theta~d\theta \nonumber \\
& dE_y=\frac{k\lambda }{R}\sin\theta ~d\theta.\nonumber \end{align}$$ Integrate and set the limiting angles ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## to whatever you like. One expression does all cases.

For example, in your case I, ##\theta_1=\dfrac{\pi}{2}## and ##\theta_2=\pi.##

Last edited:
Likes Zayan
Zayan said:
Why does changing limits change the field?
It's not surprising that ##E_x## is different for your two methods. Likewise for ##E_y##.
But your two methods give the same result for the magnitude and direction of the net electric field vector.

Likes Zayan
kuruman said:
View attachment 347300Define your starting and ending angles conventionally with respect to the positive x-axis as shown in the figure on the right.
Then $$\begin{align} & dE_x=\frac{k\lambda}{R}\cos\theta~d\theta \nonumber \\
& dE_y=\frac{k\lambda }{R}\sin\theta ~d\theta.\nonumber \end{align}$$ Integrate and set the limiting angles ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## to whatever you like. One expression does all cases.

For example, in your case I, ##\theta_1=\dfrac{\pi}{2}## and ##\theta_2=\p

TSny said:
It's not surprising that ##E_x## is different for your two methods. Likewise for ##E_y##.
But your two methods give the same result for the magnitude and direction of the net electric field vector.
Yessir it was the Orientation problem

Likes berkeman
Back