Electric field of a ring and beads

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a plastic ring with two charged beads, one fixed and one movable, and the net electric field at the center of the ring. The solution involves finding the angle at which the movable bead should be positioned to create an electric field of a certain magnitude. The attempt at a solution involves using equations for the net electric field in the x and y directions, and using the Pythagorean theorem to find the angle. The method appears to be correct, but there may be an error in the calculations.
wbetting

Homework Statement

a plastic ring of radius R = 50.4 cm. Two small charged beads are on the ring: Bead 1 of charge +2.00 μC is fixed in place at the left side; bead 2 of charge +6.00 μC can be moved along the ring. The two beads produce a net electric field of magnitude E at the center of the ring. At what (a) positive and (b) negative value of angle θ should bead 2 be positioned such that E = 2.22 × 105 N/C?

Homework Equations

Enety by -q2sinθ/4πε0R^2
Enetx by q1/4πε0R^2 - q2cosθ/4πε0R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

so i found enet of y and x by equations above then did E^2=(q1^2+q1^2-2q1q2cosθ/(4πε0R^2)^2

which simples to

θ=inverse cos [(q1^2+q1^2- (4πε0R^2)^2E^2)/(2q1q2)]

basically when i take the cos its a neg number and you can't take cos of neg number so i am confused what i am doing wrong bc my professor said method was correct

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-09 at 4.36.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-09 at 4.36.38 PM.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 790
Physics news on Phys.org
wbetting said:

The Attempt at a Solution

so i found enet of y and x by equations above then did E^2=(q1^2+q1^2-2q1q2cosθ/(4πε0R^2)^2

which simples to

θ=inverse cos [(q1^2+q1^2- (4πε0R^2)^2E^2)/(2q1q2)]
basically when i take the cos its a neg number and you can't take cos of neg number so i am confused what i am doing wrong bc my professor said method was correct

You can take the cosine of a negative number (e.g., cos(-30o) = .5) and you can also take the inverse cosine of a negative answer (e.g., inv cos (-.5) = 120o).

But, anyway, if I substitute the numbers into your expression for θ, I find that you should be taking the inverse cosine of a positive number and you get a positive angle for θ.

Overall, your work looks good to me.

Related to Electric field of a ring and beads

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force. It is represented by arrows that indicate the direction and strength of the force at any given point.

2. How is the electric field of a ring and beads calculated?

The electric field of a ring and beads can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the magnitude of the electric field at a point is directly proportional to the product of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the point and the charge. The direction of the electric field is determined by the sign of the charge.

3. What factors affect the electric field of a ring and beads?

The electric field of a ring and beads is affected by the magnitude of the charge, the distance from the charge, and the number of charges present. The shape and orientation of the ring and beads can also impact the electric field.

4. How does the electric field of a ring and beads differ from a point charge?

The electric field of a ring and beads is different from a point charge because it is not uniform. The electric field strength at different points around the ring and beads can vary depending on the distance and distribution of charges. In contrast, the electric field of a point charge is uniform in all directions.

5. Why is the electric field of a ring and beads important?

The electric field of a ring and beads is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of charged particles in this particular configuration. It also has applications in many areas of science and technology, such as in the design of electronic circuits and the study of electromagnetic waves.