Electric field of a sphere in a point A

In summary: Since you already know what the axial E field is for a ring, I would suggest the integration is over a distance, not an angle - the distance from the center of each ring to M.
not_waving
Member warned to use the formatting template
My first homework for electrostatics course I'm taking is to find the vector of electric field of a completely hollow sphere (radius r, surface charge density σ in a point A, by integrating the electric field through the whole sphere. I already figured out the electric field of a ring in a point on the axis perpendicular to the plane of the ring and passing through its center and I'm supposed to use that. I basically know how I'm supposed to integrate it but I can't seem to get it to work.

Anybody care to help?

Physics news on Phys.org
not_waving said:
I basically know how I'm supposed to integrate it but I can't seem to get it to work.
Why? Show us your work.

Okay, so firstly i know the electric field of a ring anywhere on the z axis (1). I divide the sphere into infinitesimal rings, each occupying dtheta of the sphere, to get (2). Plugging in into electric field equation and integrating I get zero, which is true but only inside the sphere. However, the point I'm calculating the electric field in isn't necessarily in the sphere so it's wrong. I'm not good with LATEX so here's some pictures that outline my thoughts

eqns.png

okay.png

not_waving said:
My first homework for electrostatics course I'm taking is to find the vector of electric field of a completely hollow sphere (radius r, surface charge density σ in a point A, by integrating the electric field through the whole sphere. I already figured out the electric field of a ring in a point on the axis perpendicular to the plane of the ring and passing through its center and I'm supposed to use that. I basically know how I'm supposed to integrate it but I can't seem to get it to work.

Anybody care to help?
is A inside or ouside the shell?

rude man said:
is A inside or ouside the shell?
I'm supposed to derive both cases. I'd edit my first post to match the template but I don't know where's the edit button so my attempt at a solution is the second post.

Okay I figured I messed up my integration limits, they should be 0 and pi. Though, I still don't get the desired result.

not_waving said:
Okay I figured I messed up my integration limits, they should be 0 and pi. Though, I still don't get the desired result.
Since you already know what the axial E field is for a ring, I would suggest the integration is over a distance, not an angle - the distance from the center of each ring to M.

FAQ: Electric field of a sphere in a point A

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field of a sphere in a point A?

The formula for calculating the electric field of a sphere in a point A is E = kQ/r^2, where k is Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point A.

2. How does the electric field of a sphere in a point A vary with distance from the center of the sphere?

The electric field of a sphere in a point A varies inversely with the square of the distance from the center of the sphere. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

3. What is the direction of the electric field at point A in relation to the center of the sphere?

The direction of the electric field at point A is radially outward from the center of the sphere. This means that the electric field lines are perpendicular to the surface of the sphere at point A.

4. How does the charge of the sphere affect the electric field at point A?

The charge of the sphere directly affects the strength of the electric field at point A. The greater the charge of the sphere, the stronger the electric field will be at point A.

5. Can the electric field at point A be negative?

Yes, the electric field at point A can be negative if the charge of the sphere is negative. This indicates that the electric field is directed towards the center of the sphere rather than away from it.

Back