Electric Field of a Uniformly Charged Rod

In summary: Integrating from d to d+l gives the expression for the electric field at a point distant from the point charge. By considering the length of the rod to be much larger than d, the expression becomes kλ/d. This is wrong because electric field due to an infinitely large thin wire is 2kλ/d at a distance d from it.Integrating from d to d+l gives the expression for the electric field at a point distant from the point charge. By considering the length of the rod to be much larger than d, the expression becomes kλ/d. This is wrong because electric field due to an infinitely large thin wire is 2kλ/d at a distance d from it.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

A rod 16.0 cm long is uniformly charged and has a total charge of -21.0 µC. Determine the magnitude and direction of the electric field along the axis of the rod at a point 42.0 cm from its center.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation I am advised to use is, [itex]\vec{E}=k_e\frac{\lambda l}{d(l+d)}[/itex], which becomes [itex]\vec{E}=k_e\frac{q}{d(l+d)}[/itex]. I understand how the numerator is formed, but how the author comes up with the numerator is something I am a little confused about. Could some possible explain how this formula is developed and what precisely it means?

Physics news on Phys.org
The numerator in this equation is simply the charge related to the charge density.

where λ = delta Q / delta L -> delta Q = λ*delta L

The equation as a whole of course is simply the definition of the electric field from Coulomb's law.

Okay, I understand that. But what about the denominator, shouldn't it somehow resemble r^2?

Bashyboy said:
Okay, I understand that. But what about the denominator, shouldn't it somehow resemble r^2?

It is r^2 if it is a point charge but you have a rod here! You need to select a small part of the rod, find the electric field due to that small part and integrate. You would require a bit of calculus here.

Oh, I see. I thought that that was the general pattern for all electric field equations. But as you have mentioned, that is not the case though.

The formula you mentioned doesn't seem right to me. Are you sure you wrote down the correct formula?

Pranav-Arora said:
The formula you mentioned doesn't seem right to me. Are you sure you wrote down the correct formula?

It's correct

λ = Q/L

dE = k λ(delta x)/(x^2)

Integrate from d to d+l (with an added bit of algebra) to obtain the expression given.

The continuous charge distribution for a uniformly charged rod is usually given as follows, and is maybe the more familiar one, but used in a different physical situation:

http://www.phy-astr.gsu.edu/cymbalyuk/Lecture13.pdf

EDIT: pdf equation not relevant

Last edited by a moderator:
Epistimi said:
It's correct

λ = Q/L

dE = k λ(delta x)/(x^2)

Integrate from d to d+l (with an added bit of algebra) to obtain the expression given.

The continuous charge distribution for a uniformly charged rod is usually given as follows, and is maybe more useful and familiar:

http://www.phy-astr.gsu.edu/cymbalyuk/Lecture13.pdf

Nope, it isn't correct.
The pdf you linked shows the correct formula and its derivation.

You can verify the formula mentioned by the OP by simply considering the length of the rod to be much larger than d. If l>>>d then expression becomes kλ/d. This is wrong because electric field due to an infinitely large thin wire is 2kλ/d at a distance d from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pranav-Arora said:
Nope, it isn't correct.
The pdf you linked shows the correct formula and its derivation.

You can verify the formula mentioned by the OP by simply considering the length of the rod to be much larger than d. If l>>>d then expression becomes kλ/d. This is wrong because electric field due to an infinitely large thin wire is 2kλ/d at a distance d from it.

The equation given by the OP is relevant when the point charge is along the axis of the rod, and the rod is finite. The equation given in the pdf, the more familiar form, is for a different physical situation as shown in the diagrams for the pdf.

To understand the validity of the OP's equation, consider the point charge to be along the axis of the rod. Define l as being the length of the rod, and d to be the minimum x position of the rod where the point charge is at the origin. Integrate dE from d to d+l, take out the constants from the integrand, then find a common denominator to derive the OP's expression. It is valid. Furthermore, it contains the necessary information for a numerical solution to the OP's original question.

Last edited:
Epistimi said:
The equation given by the OP is relevant when the point charge is along the axis of the rod, and the rod is finite. The equation given in the pdf, the more familiar form, is for a different physical situation as shown in the diagrams for the pdf.

To understand the validity of the OP's equation, consider the point charge to be along the axis of the rod. Define l as being the length of the rod, and d to be the minimum x position of the rod where the point charge is at the origin. Integrate dE from d to d+l, take out the constants from the integrand, then find a common denominator to derive the OP's expression. It is valid. Furthermore, it contains the necessary information for a numerical solution to the OP's original question.

Explain me why you integrate from d to d+l. Your limits are completely wrong. Show me the equation you set up for dE.

Bashyboy said:

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation I am advised to use is, [itex]\vec{E}=k_e\frac{\lambda l}{d(l+d)}[/itex], which becomes [itex]\vec{E}=k_e\frac{q}{d(l+d)}[/itex]. I understand how the numerator is formed, but how the author comes up with the numerator is something I am a little confused about. Could some possible explain how this formula is developed and what precisely it means?

Before using the formula you need to know the meaning of the notations. What are d and l?

The picture explains it. Integrate the contribution of the little element dq=λdl from x=d to x=d+l.

ehild

Attachments

• linecharge.JPG
    linecharge.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 879
Woops, I read the question wrong. Sorry for the trouble.

FAQ: Electric Field of a Uniformly Charged Rod

1. What is a uniform charge distribution?

A uniform charge distribution refers to a situation where electric charge is spread out evenly over a given area or volume. This means that the charge density, or amount of charge per unit area or volume, is the same at all points within the distribution.

2. How is uniform charge distribution different from non-uniform charge distribution?

In a non-uniform charge distribution, the charge density varies at different points within the distribution. This could be due to a variety of factors, such as the shape of the object or the presence of other charges nearby.

3. What are some practical applications of uniform charge distribution?

Uniform charge distributions are commonly used in electrostatics experiments and calculations, as they allow for simpler and more precise calculations. They are also important in understanding the behavior of electric fields around charged objects.

4. Can uniform charge distribution exist in real life?

In theory, yes, uniform charge distribution can exist in real life. However, it is often difficult to achieve in practice due to various factors such as imperfections in materials or the presence of external influences.

5. How is uniform charge distribution related to Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface. For a uniform charge distribution, Gauss's Law can be used to simplify calculations and determine the electric field at any point outside the distribution.