Electric field required to keep electron at rest

In summary, an expression for the electric field E was found to keep the velocity of an electron constant in a magnetic field B. It was shown that E and B are perpendicular by using the dot product to demonstrate that the two vectors are perpendicular.
boiteporte

Homework Statement

An electron is traveling through a magnetic field B=(Bx, By, Bz). Find an expressions for the electric field E required to keep the electron's velocity constant at v=(0,vy,0). Hence, show that E and B are perpendicular.

Homework Equations

F=q(v cross B)
F=qE

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I totally messed up this question. That's for sure. First, I decided to set the two forces equal to each other using q=-e since it is an electron. So, -e(v cross B)=eE (There are no minus signs on the right hand side, since it is going in the opposite direction).

So, E= -(v cross B). Then I had absolutely no idea what to do so the rest is probably wrong but, that's what I did (I decided to split it up in the 3 components) :

For the x-component, I got Ex=-(-vy*Bz)=vy*Bz
For the y-component, I got Ey=0
For the z-component, I got Ez=-(vyBx)=-vyBx

So, putting them altogether gives E=(vyBz,0,-vyBx). I don't think this answer is right though...

For the second part of the question, I said that the force is perpendicular to the magnetic field (as shown by the Lorentz Force equation) and since the force is parallel to the electric field, then the electric field is perpendicular to the magnetic field. I know there is a way to show it using Maxwell's Equation but the way the question is written implies that I have to use my previous answer. But I'd like some help please...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no mistake in your derivation.

For the second part, how could you check that two vectors are perpendicular?

Two vectors are perpendicular if their dot products equals 0. But, I still don't see where this is going...

Sorry for my previous reply. I understand now. I have E=(vyBz,0,-vyBx) and B=(Bx,By,Bz). So, their dot products is vyBzBx+0-vyBxBz=0. So, they are perpendicular. Is this correct now?

Yes, it is all correct. Well done!

Likes 1 person

Related to Electric field required to keep electron at rest

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle and exerts a force on other charged particles within its range. It is represented by arrows pointing in the direction of the force.

2. How is the electric field related to the force on an electron?

The electric field is directly related to the force acting on an electron. The force on an electron is equal to the product of its charge and the electric field strength at its location.

3. How do you calculate the electric field required to keep an electron at rest?

The electric field required to keep an electron at rest can be calculated by dividing the force on the electron by its charge. This gives the electric field strength at the location of the electron.

4. What happens if the electric field is too strong or too weak to keep the electron at rest?

If the electric field is too strong, the electron will experience a force in the direction opposite to the field and will be accelerated. If the electric field is too weak, the electron will not experience enough force to counteract its inertia and will continue to move at a constant velocity.

5. Can an electron be at rest in a non-zero electric field?

No, an electron cannot be at rest in a non-zero electric field. According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Therefore, the electric field would need to be zero for the electron to be at rest.