Electric field when there are 3 charges

In summary, the electric field at the midpoint of any of the three sides of the triangle is 9.3126e5, 2.7922e6, and 2.7922e6.
awertag

Homework Statement

A point charge q = +2.8 µC is placed at each corner of an equilateral triangle with sides 0.19 m in length.
(a) What is the magnitude of the electric field at the midpoint of any of the three sides of the triangle?

Homework Equations

E=kq/r^2
k=9e9
all q's are q=2.8e-6 C

The Attempt at a Solution

so i solved for the three E fields.
E1=9.3126e5 E2=2.7922e6 E3=2.7922e6

well, i know that they all point away from the positive charges and therefore at the point.
But I can't seem to combine them correctly. I have to use i and j vectors, right?

any good help will be greatly appreciated!

--aweg

Physics news on Phys.org
I think its just the e field of the point charge opposite it, since the E field of the 2 other charges are laying on the same line directly opposite hence should cancel out.

If we take out the charge opposite the midpoint test charge, a charge placed in the middle of 2 equal charges should experience zero net force. Hence by superposition, they should cancel out too in this case.

On reading ur question and answer, i think there's abit of confusion here, there's A point charge at each corner? I am guessing it is so because of the way the question was asked(they said EITHER(any) of the midpoints of the 3 lines.)

yes, there are three charges, one at each corner. And that makes sense, i don't think i tried that yet.

ok so then in the center of the triangle, the E field would be zero?

Yep, logically speaking.

And you can easily prove this by assuming one charge exerts X amount of force on a test charge in the middle and use equilateral triangles to sum up the forces. Should give you zero.

Well, thanks very much for the help and have a great day! :)

Related to Electric field when there are 3 charges

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a fundamental property of matter that describes the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles or by an external electric field.

2. How is the electric field calculated when there are 3 charges?

The electric field at a point in space due to multiple charges can be calculated by vector addition of the individual electric fields at that point, taking into account the magnitude and direction of each charge.

3. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a measure of the force that a charged particle experiences, while an electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field. In other words, the electric potential is the electric field multiplied by the distance the charged particle moves in the field.

4. How does the direction of the electric field change when there are 3 charges?

The direction of the electric field at a point is always in the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience at that point. Therefore, the direction of the electric field in a system of 3 charges will depend on the relative positions and charges of the 3 charges.

5. Can the electric field be negative when there are 3 charges?

Yes, the electric field can be negative when there are 3 charges. This means that the force on a positive test charge would be in the opposite direction of the electric field vector. Negative electric fields can occur when there are negative charges present in the system.

Back