Electric Flux on the surface of a sphere

Gauss's Law states that the total flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of the medium. In this case, the enclosed charge is the charge density multiplied by the volume of the sphere, which can be expressed as ρ(4/3)πr^3. Therefore, the net flux leaving the surface of the sphere is (ρ(4/3)πr^3)/ε. In summary, Gauss's Law can be used to determine the net flux leaving the surface of a sphere containing a line charge distribution with a given charge density.
NWNINA

Homework Statement

I'm trying to figure out an equation for finding the net flux that abandons the surface of a sphere which contains a line charge distribution an a charge density. The problem is:

A line charge distribution of 0.6m long with a charge density equal to 5C/m, is contained inside a sphere with radius of 5m. Find the net flux that abandons the surface of the sphere.

Homework Equations

What I have done is the following
ψ=DA
D= εE
ψ=εEA=ε(ρ/(2∏εr)(4∏r^2)
∴ψ =2 ρ r

The Attempt at a Solution

ψ= 2(5C/m)(5m) = 50C

I really don't know if this is the correct approach. Any help would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So I've decided to take a different approach
ψ= ∫∫∫ ρ rdrd∅dθ
not sure if i should use d∅ or dz. maybe the first one because it is spherical.
what limits should I use?

NWNINA said:

Homework Statement

Im trying to figure out an equation for finding the net flux that abandons the surface of a sphere which contains a line charge distribution an a charge density. The problem is:

A line charge distribution of 0.6m long with a charge density equal to 5C/m, is contained inside a sphere with radius of 5m. Find the net flux that abandons the surface of the sphere.

Homework Equations

What I have done is the following
ψ=DA
D= εE
ψ=εEA=ε(ρ/(2∏εr)(4∏r^2)
∴ψ =2 ρ r

The Attempt at a Solution

ψ= 2(5C/m)(5m) = 50C

I really don't know if this is the correct approach. Any help would be great.
Use Gauss's Law.

Calculating the flux directly by means of a surface integral will be a mess.

FAQ: Electric Flux on the surface of a sphere

1. What is Electric Flux?

Electric Flux is a measure of the number of electric field lines passing through a given surface. It is a scalar quantity and is represented by the Greek letter phi (ϕ).

2. How is Electric Flux calculated on the surface of a sphere?

The Electric Flux on the surface of a sphere can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field at the surface by the surface area of the sphere. This can be represented by the formula ϕ = E * A, where E is the electric field and A is the surface area.

3. What is the direction of Electric Flux on the surface of a sphere?

The direction of Electric Flux on the surface of a sphere is always perpendicular to the surface. This means that the electric field lines are passing through the surface at a right angle.

4. Can Electric Flux be negative on the surface of a sphere?

Yes, Electric Flux can be negative on the surface of a sphere. This happens when the electric field lines are pointing inward towards the center of the sphere, rather than outward. The negative sign indicates that the electric field is entering the surface, rather than leaving it.

5. How does the radius of the sphere affect the Electric Flux?

The radius of the sphere has a direct impact on the Electric Flux on its surface. As the radius increases, the surface area also increases, resulting in a higher Electric Flux. This is because there are more electric field lines passing through the surface of a larger sphere compared to a smaller one.

Back