Electric Flux Units: Understanding the Confusion | Explanation Included

In summary: This is why the units in the electric field equation are confusing; they are trying to use a unit that doesn't exist!
Miike012
Units for electric flux is Nm2/C = (electric Field Strength)(Surface Area).

However the units of electric flux are confusing because I though the definition of Electric flux was

The number of electric field lines through an area of surface. Therefore I though Electric flux would have had units of (Surface Area)/(Electric Field Strength).

Please look in paint doc for my reasoning.
1.Black square is a plane of area da
2.Red square = Portion of plane that one E-Field Vector covers = da/n = (Integer value) where n>1

Side Note: Reason why I made da/n = Integer was because I wanted to make sure that a fraction of an E-Vect was not passing through da which would mean that the other fraction of the same E-Vect would remain outside da ( or Not passing through da) (Not sure if that matters though).

**3.Each Field vector passing through da has equal magnitude.

4. Rest of explanation is in paint doc.

Clearly my understanding is off. Can someone please help me understand. Thank you.

Attachments

• EVECT.png
    EVECT.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
However the units of electric flux are confusing because I though the definition of Electric flux was

The number of electric field lines through an area of surface. Therefore I though Electric flux would have had units of (Surface Area)/(Electric Field Strength).
The electric field strength (the field) can be thought of as the number of field lines per unit area. So, flux (number of field lines) = (Electric Field Strength) x (Surface Area).

Please look in paint doc for my reasoning.
1.Black square is a plane of area da
2.Red square = Portion of plane that one E-Field Vector covers = da/n = (Integer value) where n>1
**3.Each Field vector passing through da has equal magnitude.
The field is uniform, thus the number of field lines per unit area is uniform. The total flux would be E*da.

Doc Al said:
The field is uniform, thus the number of field lines per unit area is uniform. The total flux would be E*da.

I know that I just created an example to explain to you why I thought the units of E-flux should be (Mag of E-Field entering surface)/(surface Area).
I wasn't interested in the equation only the units.

Doc Al said:
The electric field strength (the field) can be thought of as the number of field lines per unit area

I would have never known that by the electric field equation which has units of N/c = Vm... No where in the units do you see units for area...

I suppose intuitively that I could think of the E-field as number of field lines per area as you explained it because the stronger the E-Field the more condensed the field lines would be therefore taking up less area at a certain distance from the source of the E-Field compared to a weaker E-field at the same distance from the source producing the weaker field.

Miike012 said:
I suppose intuitively that I could think of the E-field as number of field lines per area as you explained it because the stronger the E-Field the more condensed the field lines would be therefore taking up less area at a certain distance from the source of the E-Field compared to a weaker E-field at the same distance from the source producing the weaker field.
Exactly.

Realize that field lines are just a way to help visualize things. They don't really exist! What exists is the field, which has a value everywhere.

Miike012 said:
I would have never known that by the electric field equation which has units of N/c = Vm... No where in the units do you see units for area...
As I said in my last post, 'field lines' are just tools for visualization. Thus you won't see 'lines' or area in any standard units for field.

The standard unit for flux isn't 'number of lines' but E*Area = Nm2/C.

FAQ: Electric Flux Units: Understanding the Confusion | Explanation Included

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volts per meter squared (V/m²).

2. How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field vector and the surface area vector. It can also be calculated by integrating the electric field over the surface of an object.

3. What is the difference between electric flux and electric field?

Electric field is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric force on a charged particle. Electric flux, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that describes the amount of electric field passing through a given area.

4. What are some applications of electric flux?

Electric flux is an important concept in the study of electromagnetism. It is used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and chemistry, to understand and analyze the behavior of electric fields and their effects on charged particles.

5. How is electric flux related to Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is proportional to the charge enclosed by that surface. In other words, the electric flux is directly related to the charge inside a closed surface and can be used to calculate the electric field produced by that charge.