Electric Force, Equilibrium Config of Charges

In summary, the homework statement states that four identical charges - q = 3 C - should be placed so that the whole system is in equilibrium. The solution is found to be - (F1)r^2/(2kq) = - (0.5+sqrt(2))q/2 = -2.87132 C.
arl146

Homework Statement

Find the charge Q that should be placed at the centre of the square of side 8.50E+0 cm, at the corners of which four identical charges +q = 3 C are placed so that the whole system is in equilibrium.

Homework Equations

F=(k*q1*q2) / r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution is something like this:

Let r = side of square. That's 8.5 cm, right?
Without the center charge, F1 (on each charge, away from center) = kq^2/(sqrt(2)*r)^2 (diagonal charge) + 2*sqrt(0.5)*kq^2/r^2 (2 adjacent charges) =
k(q/r)^2*(0.5+sqrt(2)) = 2.1430705E13 N
F1 = -F (center charge Q to each corner charge q) = kqQ/(r*sqrt(0.5))^2 = 2kqQ/r^2
==> Q = -(F1)r^2/(2kq) = -(0.5+sqrt(2))q/2 = -2.87132 Cmy only question is this:
why does the F of the 2 adjacent charges = 2*sqrt(0.5)*kq^2/r^2
where does the 2*sqrt(1/2) come from? why isn't it just (2*k*q^2)/r^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Forces are vectors. You can't add them like normal scalars. Draw a diagram and split components, and you'll see why :smile:

i actually don't get this whole thing at all lol ...

so when you break it down, F1 = F12 + F13 + F14
F12 and F14 are the adjacent charges. aren't those just kq^2/r^2 for each?
and the F13 is the diagonal charge .. isn't that just kq^2/r^2 but in the x dir it has a cos(theta) attached to it and for the y dir it has a sin(theta) attached ..

it doesn't make sense at all. F12 should just be (k*q^2)/r^2 and same with F14 .. it doesn't make sense to me why F12+F14 = (2*sqrt(0.5)*k*q^2)/r^2

Do you know addition of vectors? Can you tell me what the sum of the two vectors in the attachment would be? Assume the magnitude of both the forces is F, and they are perpendicular.

Attachments

• force.bmp
    169.4 KB · Views: 440
adding those 2 vectors equals the 'hypotenuse' .. i don't know what you want for an answer

arl146 said:
adding those 2 vectors equals the 'hypotenuse' .. i don't know what you want for an answer

Yes, its the hypotenuse. What is the magnitude of that resultant sum?

sqrt(2)*F

arl146 said:
sqrt(2)*F

Yep. Now what you have in your original question is,

F12 = F14 = (kq2)/r2 = F

And they are perpendicular to each other...Apply the same concept you used for my question...

then F12 + F14 = sqrt(2)*(kq^2)/r^2 + sqrt(2)*(kq^2)/r^2 = 2*sqrt(2) (kq^2)/r^2 ...

arl146 said:
then F12 + F14 = sqrt(2)*(kq^2)/r^2 + sqrt(2)*(kq^2)/r^2 = 2*sqrt(2) (kq^2)/r^2 ...

How did you get the second term from!?

When they're perpendicular,

F + F = sqrt(2) F, that's it.

oh yea right. so just sqrt(2)*(kq^2)/r^2 so what's that mean now

arl146 said:
oh yea right. so just sqrt(2)*(kq^2)/r^2 so what's that mean now

Well, there you go :biggrin:

well you didnt answer my question ... in the problem's answer i posted in my original first post, which gave me the right answer, it says that F12+F14 = 2*sqrt(0.5)*kq^2/r^2

2*sqrt(1/2) does not equal sqrt(2) ..

arl146 said:
2*sqrt(1/2) does not equal sqrt(2) ..

:eek:

Are you really sure...?

maybe they made a typo since it still works out *shrugs* that's all the reason why i was confused ... thanks though :)

ohh yea duhh i don't know what i was thinking for that part .. i think i got the radical on the bottom mixed up

ohhh yea duh idk what i was thinking for that. mixed up the radical on the bottom

arl146 said:
maybe they made a typo since it still works out *shrugs* that's all the reason why i was confused ... thanks though :)

[itex]2\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt{2}[/itex]

o:)

haha yea like i said mixed up the radical. wasnt thinking to take out the radical on the bottom lol

Related to Electric Force, Equilibrium Config of Charges

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental physical force that exists between charged particles. It is responsible for the attraction and repulsion of particles with opposite and like charges, respectively.

2. How is electric force calculated?

Electric force is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the magnitude of the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is equilibrium configuration of charges?

Equilibrium configuration of charges refers to the arrangement of charged particles in a system where the net force on each particle is zero. This means that the particles are in a stable position and will not experience any movement due to the balance of attractive and repulsive forces.

4. How can you determine the equilibrium configuration of charges?

The equilibrium configuration of charges can be determined by calculating the net force on each particle and adjusting their positions until the forces are balanced. This can be done using vector addition to calculate the resultant force on each particle.

5. Can the equilibrium configuration of charges change?

Yes, the equilibrium configuration of charges can change if the positions or charges of the particles are altered. This can happen if external forces are applied, or if the particles are able to move freely in the system.

Back