Electric Force: Magnitude & Direction Calc.

In summary, electric force is a fundamental force that describes the attraction or repulsion between charged particles. It can be calculated using Coulomb's law and its unit is Newton (N) in the SI system. The direction of electric force can be determined using the principle of superposition, and it can only be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the sign of the charges involved.
Hannahj1

Homework Statement

Calculate the magnitude and direction of the electric force if a charge of −3.5 × 10−7 C is placed in a field of 12 N/C

Homework Equations

e = Fe/q

The Attempt at a Solution

I just plugged in values into the equations to find Fe and my answer was negative so the force is going to the left? I was just wondering if i did this right! thank you!​

Physics news on Phys.org
Positve force implies it is in the same direction as the field, negative in the opposite direction to the field.

Related to Electric Force: Magnitude & Direction Calc.

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of electric force?

The magnitude of electric force can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of electric force?

The unit of electric force is Newton (N) in the SI system.

4. How do you determine the direction of electric force?

The direction of electric force can be determined using the principle of superposition, which states that the force on a charged object is the vector sum of the forces from all other charged objects in the system.

5. Can electric force be attractive and repulsive at the same time?

No, electric force can only be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the sign of the charges involved. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

Back