Electric Force of two hemispheres

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the electric force of a sphere with uniform charge. The suggested methods include using the Maxwell stress tensor and Gauss laws to find the electric field at every point and then integrating to find the force. However, the integral may be difficult to solve depending on whether the sphere is solid or hollow. A simpler method is suggested for the hollow sphere, while it is agreed that the solid sphere may be more challenging.
TimNguyen
Hello.

I'm having trouble with this problem.

Suppose there is a sphere of uniform charge (Q). What is the electric force of the top hemisphere due to the bottom hemisphere?

Physics news on Phys.org
use maxwell stress tensor approach this problem

I apologize, I have no idea what a tensor is at all.

All I know is that the electric force equals (QE), therefore the only solution I could think of is of the form F = (1/4 Pi PermitivityConstant)(?). I'm trying to picture a way to find the electric field of the system but I just don't see it.

Anyone...?

if you are good at maths, here is one option:
use gauss laws to find equation E field at every point
integrate the F=Eq over the entire sphere
long integration, not really that hard if it is a hollow sphere. seems quite hard if it is solid, not sure

(i hope this method works)

Last edited:
if you are good at maths, here is one option:
use gauss laws to find equation E field at every point
integrate the F=Eq over the entire sphere
long integration, not really that hard if it is a hollow sphere. seems quite hard if it is solid, not sure
forget it... the integral will go crazy...

for hollow sphere:

well, the e field is constant over the surface of the sphere. so all you have to do is to use a polar integration with two cosines in the function. to find the component in the away from centre direction. because by symmetry the force is outwards radially.

for solid sphere:

well, you are totally right.

Related to Electric Force of two hemispheres

1. What is the "Electric Force of two hemispheres" and why is it important?

The Electric Force of two hemispheres refers to the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged hemispheres. This force is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric charges and their interactions with each other.

2. How is the Electric Force of two hemispheres calculated?

The Electric Force of two hemispheres can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Can the Electric Force of two hemispheres be attractive and repulsive at the same time?

No, the Electric Force of two hemispheres can only be either attractive or repulsive. If the two hemispheres have opposite charges, the force will be attractive, and if they have the same charge, the force will be repulsive.

4. How does the distance between two hemispheres affect the Electric Force?

The Electric Force of two hemispheres is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Electric Force of two hemispheres?

The Electric Force of two hemispheres plays a crucial role in many everyday devices, such as motors, generators, and batteries. It also helps us understand the behavior of lightning and the formation of thunderstorms.