Electric Force Question and Spheres

In summary, the net force acting on sphere A, one of three identically charged spheres located at the corners of a triangle with sides of 30 cm and angles of 60 degrees, can be calculated using the formula 2(kq^2/r^2) cos 30. The resulting answer should be 1.6 x 10^-2 N due to significant figures.
delongk
Three identically charged spheres A, B, and C, each with a charge of +3.0 * 10-7 C, are located at the corners of a triangle whose sides are 30 cm long and all the angles are 60 deg. What is the net force acting on sphere A?

I figured the X coordinates cancel each other out. For the Y:

kqAqB/r^2 cos 30 + kqAqC/r^2 cos 30

since all charges and sides are equal:
2(kq^2/r^2) cos 30

the answer I get is 1.56 *10^-2 but the website says that is not correct. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
delongk said:
Three identically charged spheres A, B, and C, each with a charge of +3.0 * 10-7 C, are located at the corners of a triangle whose sides are 30 cm long and all the angles are 60 deg. What is the net force acting on sphere A?

I figured the X coordinates cancel each other out. For the Y:

kqAqB/r^2 cos 30 + kqAqC/r^2 cos 30

since all charges and sides are equal:
2(kq^2/r^2) cos 30

the answer I get is 1.56 *10^-2 but the website says that is not correct. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong??
Perhaps it is a problem with significant figures. Try 1.6 x 10^-2. Your method is correct.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Perhaps it is a problem with significant figures. Try 1.6 x 10^-2. Your method is correct.

AM
I concur with Andrew. Since they gave the charge and length with two sig figs, they probably want you to give 1.6 x10^(-2) N.

Related to Electric Force Question and Spheres

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is the attractive or repulsive force between two charged particles, such as electrons or protons. It is caused by the interaction of the electric fields of the particles.

2. How is electric force different from gravitational force?

Electric force is caused by the interaction of charged particles, while gravitational force is caused by the mass of objects. Electric force can be either attractive or repulsive, while gravitational force is always attractive.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric force?

The formula for calculating electric force is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force in Newtons, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9), q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles in Coulombs, and r is the distance between the two particles in meters.

4. How does the distance between two charged spheres affect the electric force between them?

The electric force between two charged spheres is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the spheres increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can electric force be shielded or blocked?

Yes, electric force can be shielded or blocked by using conductive materials, such as metal, which can absorb and redirect the electric field. This is why metal cages are often used to protect sensitive equipment from external electric fields.

Back