Electric Force Textbook error?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the net force given a point charge and the value of the electric field. The equation FE = εq is used, and the attempt at a solution is shown to be correct. The book's answer is also shown, but the student doubts its accuracy due to multiple errors in the textbook. The student is frustrated with having to rely on the inaccurate text for their learning.
quicksilver123

Homework Statement

Find the net force given a point charge and the value of the electric field.

Homework Equations

FE = εq

ε= (5.6*10^4)
q=(-1.2 * 10^-5)

The Attempt at a Solution

FE = εq
FE = (5.6*10^4)(-1.2 * 10^-5)
FE = 0.672 N

Seriously. I am posting this question.

Here's the answer the book gave:

FE = εq
FE = (5.6*10^4)(-1.2 * 10^-5)
FE = (6.7*10^4) N

It does this again on the answer to the next question, increasing the magnitude by 10^5.

Everything I know tells me I'm right but I need to be sure I'm not doing something very wrong. I don't know why this text is still in circulation if its riddled with this many errors.​

Physics news on Phys.org
Did the question supply units to associate with the field and charge values?

xxxx

Last edited:
charge is in coulombs

field is in Newtons per coulomb

xxxx

Last edited:
So, coulombs for charge, meters for distances. Looks like your answer is correct and the text is in error.

Thanks.

Kind of frustrating, seeing as how we're expected to learn the course solely from the text... which is very inaccurate a lot of the time.

What is the text, Halliday and Resnick?

Nah. This place makes their own text for Canadian students.

Related to Electric Force Textbook error?

1. What is an electric force textbook error?

An electric force textbook error is a mistake or inaccuracy in the information presented in a textbook related to the concept of electric force. This could include incorrect equations, incorrect explanations, or incorrect examples.

2. How common are electric force textbook errors?

Electric force textbook errors are relatively rare, but they can occur from time to time. They are more common in older textbooks, as scientific knowledge and understanding continue to evolve and improve.

3. How can an electric force textbook error impact my understanding of the subject?

An electric force textbook error can lead to a misunderstanding of the concept of electric force and potentially affect your overall understanding of the subject. It is important to identify and correct any errors to ensure accurate learning.

4. What should I do if I come across an electric force textbook error?

If you come across an electric force textbook error, it is important to bring it to the attention of your teacher or professor. They can then investigate the error and correct it if necessary. It is also helpful to consult other reliable sources to confirm the information.

5. Can electric force textbook errors be fixed?

Yes, electric force textbook errors can be fixed. If an error is identified, it can be corrected in future editions of the textbook. In some cases, errata or corrections may also be published by the publisher or author to address any errors in previous editions.

Back