Electric force (varying) on q from Q (conceptual question)

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using integration to find the electric force acting on a charge q from a fixed charge Q, causing q to move a certain distance "a" along the y-axis. However, it is clarified that integrating the force will result in work done by the force, not the actual force itself. The possibility of a source explaining this concept is also mentioned.
Antonius
Let's say Q is a charge at fixed position on the x - axis. There is another identical charge q on the y - axis. There is an electric force acting on q from Q (and it's not constant.) My question is can I find force acting upon q from Q to move q to a certain distance "a" , along y - axis (distance "a" from it's original position.)

Now that I have stated the conditions, my question - Can I integrate the Electric Force = q Q / ( 4 π ε ) ∫ 1 / r^2 to find the force that acts on q due Q which causes q to move a distance "a"

If you have a link to a source that explains this whole idea of varying electric force please let me know, that would be a massive help.

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You already know the force. It's a variable force whsose magnitude at any point is given by coulombs law. If you integrate it with respect to dr, as you have suggested, you'll get work done by the force, not force.

Likes Antonius
UncertaintyAjay said:
You already know the force. It's a variable force whsose magnitude at any point is given by coulombs law. If you integrate it with respect to dr, as you have suggested, you'll get work done by the force, not force.
Thanks a lot! Yesterday, I completely forgot that the area under F x d graph is a work done by the force...

Related to Electric force (varying) on q from Q (conceptual question)

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles.

2. How does electric force vary on a charged particle?

The electric force on a charged particle varies based on the strength and direction of the electric field in which it is located. The force is stronger when the electric field is stronger and is directed towards the source of the field.

3. What is the relationship between electric force and charge?

The electric force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them, according to Coulomb's Law. This means that the greater the charges and the smaller the distance between them, the stronger the force will be.

4. How does electric force change as distance between charges increases?

As the distance between two charged particles increases, the electric force between them decreases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, meaning that the force decreases rapidly as distance increases.

5. What is the net electric force on a charged particle when multiple charges are present?

When multiple charges are present, the net electric force on a charged particle is the vector sum of all the individual electric forces acting on it. This can be calculated by adding the forces using vector addition, taking into account the direction and magnitude of each force.

Back