Electric Forces and fields question

In summary: What is the direction of the resultant field?In summary, the resulting electric field at point P, due to charges A and B placed at equal distances x from P, is southwest. This can be determined by considering the direction of the individual electric fields at P due to each charge and adding them as vectors. The direction of the resultant field is determined by the direction of the two individual fields and their magnitudes.
fatty005005
Two charges are placed at an equal distance x from point P, as shown in the following diagram. Charge A is placed directly west of P and B is placed directly north of P.

1)If A is given a charge of –Q and B is given a charge of +Q, what is the direction of the resulting electric field at point P?
A) southeast
B) northwest
C) northeast
D) southwest
Incorrect. Your answer=B, Correct answer=D

I need an explanation on how it's done, especially on how you get the angle which it travels and stuff. Thanks

Attachments

• Physics pic.gif
    Physics pic.gif
    3 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
BUMP!

There is the attachment for the diagram. :)

Don't forget the field lines are curved as shown by this diagram.

220px-VFPt_charges_plus_minus_thumb.svg.png

Now just imagine that diagram rotated to suit your question

There I rotated it for you to make it easier to see.

Attachments

• 220px-VFPt_charges_plus_minus_thumb.svg.png
    220px-VFPt_charges_plus_minus_thumb.svg.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 476
rollcast said:
There I rotated it for you to make it easier to see.

Erm, I still don't see the connection? The + attracts the - charge, and i guess i have to use pythagorean theorem, but how do i calculate which direction it is deflected?

I need a explanation, i totally suck at this topic..

Bump!

fatty005005 said:
Bump!

Figure the electric field at P due to B and the electric field at P due to A and add them as vectors.

Well it's a repellent force from the north and an attractive force from the west, ergo, the added force vector is toward the southwest.

Dick said:
Figure the electric field at P due to B and the electric field at P due to A and add them as vectors.

Erm, how do I go about the vector addition?

I have lEl= kQ/x^2 for the field of B and lEl=k(-Q)/x^2 for field of A. and shouldn't it be southeast? Why do you say it's southwest?

fatty005005 said:
Erm, how do I go about the vector addition?

I have lEl= kQ/x^2 for the field of B and lEl=k(-Q)/x^2 for field of A. and shouldn't it be southeast? Why do you say it's southwest?

You are just giving the magnitude of the field. Electric fields have a direction. Those two fields have the same magnitude |kQ/x^2|. What's the direction of each of the vectors?

How do I figure out the direction? The diagram arrows point towards in both ways?

fatty005005 said:
Two charges are placed at an equal distance x from point P, as shown in the following diagram. Charge A is placed directly west of P and B is placed directly north of P.

1)If A is given a charge of –Q and B is given a charge of +Q, what is the direction of the resulting electric field at point P?
A) southeast
B) northwest
C) northeast
D) southwest
Incorrect. Your answer=B, Correct answer=D

I need an explanation on how it's done, especially on how you get the angle which it travels and stuff. Thanks
Forget the dipole diagrams !

What is the direction of the Electric Field at P due to the -Q charge at point A ?

What is the direction of the Electric Field at P due to the +Q charge at point B ?

How do the magnitude of these two fields compare?

Add the two fields vector-wise.

Related to Electric Forces and fields question

1. What is an electric force?

An electric force is a fundamental force of nature that exists between charged particles. It is responsible for the attraction and repulsion between particles and is the force that allows for the interaction of electricity.

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space around a charged particle or object where an electric force can be felt. It is represented by arrows that point in the direction of the force a positive charge would experience if placed in that field.

3. How is an electric force calculated?

An electric force is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. What is the difference between an electric force and an electric field?

An electric force is the actual force that exists between two charged particles, while an electric field is the region where that force can be felt. The electric field is a way to visualize and understand the behavior of charged particles.

5. How do electric forces and fields affect everyday life?

Electric forces and fields play a crucial role in our everyday lives, from the functioning of electronic devices to the generation and transmission of electricity. They also play a role in the behavior of objects in our environment, such as the way our hair stands up when rubbed with a balloon or the way lightning occurs during a storm.

Back