Electric Planet? Is It Possible?

In summary, it is possible for a planet to have constant lightning storms, as observed on Jupiter and Earth. However, it is uncertain if a planet could have an even higher frequency of lightning storms than Earth. The primordial atmosphere of Earth is believed to have been very violent, which may have contributed to its high frequency of lightning storms.
Gold Barz
Is it possible for a planet to be filled with electricity and lightning, like lightning storms all year 'round?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Gold Barz said:
Is it possible for a planet to be filled with electricity and lightning, like lightning storms all year 'round?

hello Gold Barz, IIRC there is a lot of lightning observed in the Jupiter atmosphere, but I don't have a URL and am not certain about this.

not long ago I was reading some webpage about lightning in Earth atmosphere and it said Earth has several thousand flashes of lightning a minute.
Here is the page:
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/lightning_backgrounder.html
It said that most of this constant lightning activity around the Earth is up in the clouds. between clouds. so most of the bolts don't hit the ground.

So my answer, from what I've read on the web, would be Yes
a planet can have lightning storms going all the time, and Earth does.

Last edited:
I mean a million times worse than Earth?

The primordial atmosphere of planet Earth is thought to be quite violent. You may find these links of interest:
http://www.palaeos.com/Hadean/Hadean.htm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/science/story/0,12450,898680,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Electric Planet? Is It Possible?

1. What is an electric planet?

An electric planet is a theoretical planet that is entirely powered by electricity. This means that the planet's energy needs are met solely through electrical sources, such as renewable energy or advanced technology.

2. Is it possible for a planet to be powered solely by electricity?

Currently, there is no known planet that is powered entirely by electricity. However, with advancements in renewable energy and technology, it is theoretically possible for a planet to be powered solely by electricity in the future.

3. How would an electric planet sustain life?

An electric planet would need to have a stable and sustainable source of electricity to support life. This could be achieved through renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, or hydropower, as well as advanced technology that harnesses and stores electrical energy.

4. What are the potential benefits of an electric planet?

An electric planet could potentially have numerous benefits, such as reducing dependence on non-renewable energy sources, mitigating climate change, and providing a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly way of living for its inhabitants.

5. What are the challenges of creating an electric planet?

The main challenges of creating an electric planet include developing and implementing advanced technology to generate and store electricity, as well as ensuring a stable and reliable energy supply for sustained human life. Additionally, there may be social and economic barriers to transitioning to a fully electric planet.

Back