Electric potential at the center of a sphere

In summary, the electric field at the surface of a charged, solid, copper sphere is 2800 N/C, directed towards the center of the sphere. The potential at the center of the sphere, taking the potential to be zero infinitely far from the sphere, is negative due to the inward electric field indicating a negative charge enclosed within the sphere. The potential is the same throughout the metal sphere.
Yosty22

Homework Statement

The electric field at the surface of a charged, solid, copper sphere with radius 0.19m is 2800 N/C , directed toward the center of the sphere.

What is the potential at the center of the sphere, if we take the potential to be zero infinitely far from the sphere?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I got the correct answer, but missed the sign.

What I did was:

I know that the electric field is 3800 N/C at the surface, and I know the radius, so I calculated the electric flux through the sphere. I found the flux to be 1723.85 Vm. Then, I solved for Q_enc and found it to be 1.526*10^-8 C. Then, I used the equation V = 1/(4pi\epsilon_0)*∫dq/r to find that the potential is 722V.

My question:

The question states that the electric field points to the center of the sphere, implying the charge enclosed is negative. Is this why the potential is negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yosty22 said:

Homework Statement

The electric field at the surface of a charged, solid, copper sphere with radius 0.19m is 2800 N/C , directed toward the center of the sphere.

What is the potential at the center of the sphere, if we take the potential to be zero infinitely far from the sphere?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I got the correct answer, but missed the sign.

What I did was:

I know that the electric field is 3800 N/C at the surface, and I know the radius, so I calculated the electric flux through the sphere. I found the flux to be 1723.85 Vm. Then, I solved for Q_enc and found it to be 1.526*10^-8 C. Then, I used the equation V = 1/(4pi\epsilon_0)*∫dq/r to find that the potential is 722V.

My question:

The question states that the electric field points to the center of the sphere, implying the charge enclosed is negative. Is this why the potential is negative?

Yes, the inward electric field means enclosed negative charge, which has negative potential with respect to infinity.

You calculated the potential at the surface of the metal sphere. When writing the answer, add that the potential is the same through the metal.

ehild

FAQ: Electric potential at the center of a sphere

What is electric potential at the center of a sphere?

The electric potential at the center of a sphere is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at the center of the sphere.

How is the electric potential at the center of a sphere calculated?

The electric potential at the center of a sphere can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/R, where V is the electric potential, k is Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and R is the radius of the sphere.

Is the electric potential at the center of a sphere affected by the charge distribution?

Yes, the electric potential at the center of a sphere is affected by the charge distribution. It depends on the amount and distribution of charges on the surface of the sphere.

What happens to the electric potential at the center of a sphere if the radius changes?

If the radius of the sphere changes, the electric potential at the center of the sphere will also change. The electric potential is directly proportional to the radius, so as the radius increases, the electric potential also increases, and vice versa.

Why is the electric potential at the center of a sphere important?

The electric potential at the center of a sphere is important because it allows us to calculate the electric potential at any point outside the sphere. It also helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and charges within a spherical system.

Back