Electric potential energy and work

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a positive charge at a fixed point and a second charge constrained to slide along a wire. The goal is to find the speed of the second charge when it reaches a specific point. Various equations are mentioned, but the solution is not provided.
prophyasker

Homework Statement

Positive point charge (Q = 8 μC, mass m = 19 g) is fixed at point (9 cm,0). A second identical charge q is constrained to slide on a frictionless wire along the y-axis. Assume: the only force on q is the electrostatic force. If q starts at (0,7 cm) and is released from rest, find its speed when it reaches (0,50 cm), in m/s.

Homework Equations

△V=W/Q
W=F*S=Q*E*S

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempt to use W=F*S=Q*E*S=1/2*m*vf^2 - 1/2*m*vi^2, but I got wrong.
thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
prophyasker said:
I attempt to use W=F*S=Q*E*S=1/2*m*vf^2 - 1/2*m*vi^2, but I got wrong.
thank you for your help

You need to provide your actual attempt, this is only a description of what you did and does not contain your actual computations.

FAQ: Electric potential energy and work

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is the potential for the particle to do work by moving in the direction of the electric field.

2. How is electric potential energy calculated?

The electric potential energy is calculated using the formula U = qV, where U is the potential energy, q is the charge of the particle, and V is the electric potential at that point in the electric field.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential energy and work?

Electric potential energy and work are directly related, as work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. In this case, work is done when a charged particle moves from a point of higher electric potential energy to a point of lower electric potential energy.

4. How does the distance between charged particles affect electric potential energy?

The electric potential energy between two charged particles is directly proportional to the distance between them. As the distance increases, the electric potential energy decreases, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric potential energy and work?

Electric potential energy and work have many practical applications, including powering electronic devices, generating electricity in power plants, and powering electric motors in cars and appliances. They also play a crucial role in various technologies such as batteries, capacitors, and solar cells.

Back