Electric Potential Energy of electron orbits

In summary, the conversation discussed the formation of a hydrogen atom from an electron and proton initially at an infinite distance apart. The change in electric potential energy, EPEfinal - EPEinitial, was calculated by using the formula PE = kq1*q2/r and taking into account the charges of -1.6*10^-19C for the electron and 1.6*10^-19C for the proton. The final answer was found to be -4.24 * 10^18, with the help of the constant k = 9*10^9.
nckaytee
An electron and a proton are initially very far apart (effectively an infinite distance apart). They are then brought together to form a hydrogen atom, in which the electron orbits the proton at an average distance of 5.43 * 10-11 m. What is EPEfinal - EPEinitial, which is the change in the electric potential energy?

I have no idea where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
nckaytee said:
An electron and a proton are initially very far apart (effectively an infinite distance apart). They are then brought together to form a hydrogen atom, in which the electron orbits the proton at an average distance of 5.43 * 10-11 m. What is EPEfinal - EPEinitial, which is the change in the electric potential energy?

I have no idea where to start

Isn't the potential energy given by PE = kq1*q2/r

If EPE at infinity is 0, then ... The change is ...

In my notes I have [tex]\Delta E.P.E[/tex] of electron = q(Vb-Va) = (-e)(Vb-Va)

I am really not getting this

Im sorry, I might have something here... One minute..

Okay I am confused

nckaytee said:
In my notes I have [tex]\Delta E.P.E[/tex] of electron = q(Vb-Va) = (-e)(Vb-Va)

I am really not getting thisIm sorry, I might have something here... One minute..

What is the charge of an electron and a proton?

Wikipedia said:
e = –1.602176487(40) × 10–19C
p = 1.60217653(14)×10−19 C

Last edited:
So, would it be...

(-1.6*10^19)(0 - 5.43 *10^-11)

nckaytee said:
So, would it be...

(-1.6*10^19)(0 - 5.43 *10^-11)

It's the product of both charges.

PE = kq1*q2/rAnd check the exponent of the charges. And don't forget k.

Okay, so I did PE = [(9*10^9)(-1.6*10^-19)(1.6*10^-19)] / 5.43*10^-11

My answer is right! -4.24 * 10^18

Thank you

nckaytee said:
Okay, so I did PE = [(9*10^9)(-1.6*10^-19)(1.6*10^-19)] / 5.43*10^-11

My answer is right! -4.24 * 10^18

Thank you

You're welcome.

And don't act so surprised. You had it nailed from kqq/r.

Good luck.

Related to Electric Potential Energy of electron orbits

What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position in an electric field. It is the ability of an object to do work when placed in an electric field.

How is electric potential energy related to electron orbits?

Electric potential energy is related to electron orbits because electrons have a negative charge and are attracted to the positive charge of the nucleus. As they move around the nucleus in their orbit, they have potential energy due to their position in the electric field.

How is the electric potential energy of an electron orbit calculated?

The electric potential energy of an electron orbit is calculated using the formula U = -kQq/r, where U is the potential energy, k is Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the nucleus, q is the charge of the electron, and r is the distance between the nucleus and the electron.

What factors affect the electric potential energy of an electron orbit?

The electric potential energy of an electron orbit is affected by the charge of the nucleus and the electron, as well as the distance between them. The greater the charge of the nucleus, the more potential energy the electron will have. Additionally, the closer the electron is to the nucleus, the higher its potential energy will be.

How does the electric potential energy of an electron orbit change as the electron moves closer or farther from the nucleus?

The electric potential energy of an electron orbit decreases as the electron moves closer to the nucleus, and increases as it moves farther away. This is because the closer the electron is to the nucleus, the stronger the electric field and the greater the potential energy. As it moves away, the electric field and potential energy decrease.

Back