Electric Potential Energy Question

In summary, the question involves calculating the electric potential energy of a system with three charges. The user initially used the formula E=(kq1q2)/r to calculate the potential energies at each point and then added them together, but got a different answer from the one provided by the teacher. They then followed the recommendation of another user to approach the problem differently, by bringing in each charge from an infinite distance and calculating the work done. This method resulted in the correct answer.
leaf345
Hi, this is my first time posting here but I have a question that looked really simple at first, but the answer I get is wrong from the answer given to us by our teacher.
The question is this:
Consider the diagram below
http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/9282/physics3bn.jpg

a) What is the electric potential energy of the system?
What I did
3x10^-6=q1
1x10^-6=q2
-2x10^-6=q3

Epotental(total)= (Epotential @ q1) + (Epotential @ q2) + (Epotential @ q3)
=[(kq1q2)/0.36 + (kq1q3/0.36)] + [(kq2q1/0.36) + (kq2q3/0.4)] + [(kq3q1/0.36) + (kq3q2/0.4)]

I used the formula E=(kq1q2)/r to get the potential energies at all 3 points and then added them together. I got -0.24 J but the answer the teacher gave us is -0.12J. Is it possible he is mistaken, or am I oversimplifying this question?

BTW: This is grade 12 physics

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try applying this method to a two-charge system and see if you can figure out what you're doing wrong. Here's how I would do a problem like this: I'd "move" one charge in from an infinite distance and calculate the work done, which is zero. Then I'd bring in the second and fix it in place and calculate the work done. Then I'd bring in the third charge, etc.

I tried what you recommended in your second part and it worked :)
Thanks.

FAQ: Electric Potential Energy Question

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that is stored in an object due to its position in an electric field. It is a form of potential energy and is measured in joules (J).

2. How is electric potential energy calculated?

The formula for electric potential energy is U = qV, where U is the potential energy, q is the charge of the object, and V is the electric potential. This formula can also be written as U = kQq/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the source charge, q is the test charge, and r is the distance between the charges.

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V). Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the total potential energy of an object in an electric field and is measured in joules (J).

4. How does electric potential energy affect the movement of charged particles?

Charged particles will move from areas of high electric potential energy to areas of low electric potential energy. This movement is caused by the repulsive or attractive forces between the charges. The direction of movement depends on the sign of the charge and the direction of the electric field.

5. How is electric potential energy related to electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference, also known as voltage, is the change in electric potential energy per unit charge between two points in an electric field. In other words, it is the difference in electric potential energy between two points. The greater the electric potential difference, the greater the change in potential energy per unit charge.