Electric Potential Energy Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electric potential energy for two smaller daughter nuclei that are created when a uranium nucleus divides into two equal daughters. The formula for U is used, with the charge Q being equal to 46e, which represents 46 protons in each nucleus. The correct value for U is found by using the formula U = k*Q_{1}*Q_{2}*e^{2}/d^{2}, with the radius d being divided by 2 since it represents the radius of both nuclei combined.
Alouette

Homework Statement

A uranium nucleus in a reactor captures a slow neutron and divides, or fissions, into two smaller daughter nuclei. Assuming the nucleus divides into two equal daughters with charge Q=46e and diameter d=2x10-14m, calculate their electric potential energy.

Homework Equations

k = (9x10^9)Nm^2/C^2

V = kQ/r

U = qV

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the two equations above to find the U, but it's not right with both:

k(46)/(1x10^-14) & k(46^2)/(1x10^-14).

Am I using the wrong formulas? Not doing enough work?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
May be you are using wrong units? What is the unit of charge?

For the charge it just says Q=46e. So I just plug that into the equation:

U = (k*Q)/(r)

= (9x10^9)*(46^2)/(1x10^-4)

//Using the constant k, two charges of Q since there are two daughters, and dividing the diameter by 2 to get the radius.

Given the formulas they gave us in class, I would think they would be relevant to the question... this is why physics frustrates me! :(

e = Charge of an electron = -1.6 * 10 ^-19 C

Last edited:
In Q=46e e means the elementary charge, 1.6x10-19 C. Are you sure that the formula for U is valid in this case? That charge 46e means 46 protons in both nucleus.
ehild

Last edited:
Ah, stupid mistake again. Clearly these questions are clouding my basic understanding...

So let me try to understand, Q=46e = 46(1.6x10[itex]^{-19}[/itex]) ?

And I have this formula too:

U= k*Q[itex]_{1}[/itex]*Q[itex]_{2}[/itex]*e[itex]^{2}[/itex]/d[itex]^{2}[/itex]

(Using d[itex]^{2}[/itex] since it should be both radius added together anyways)

So therefore:

U = (9x10[itex]^{9}[/itex])*46*46*e[itex]^{2}[/itex]/(2x10[itex]^{-14}[/itex])

?

Yes seems so! Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your time for helping me understand. I'm trying my hardest to learn.

Last edited:

Related to Electric Potential Energy Question

What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is the potential for an electric force to do work on the object, and is measured in joules (J).

How is electric potential energy related to electric potential?

Electric potential energy is directly related to electric potential. Electric potential is the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. The unit for electric potential is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

What factors affect the amount of electric potential energy?

The amount of electric potential energy is affected by the distance between the two charged objects, the magnitude of the charges, and the medium between the charges. The closer the objects are, the larger the charges are, and the lower the dielectric constant of the medium, the greater the electric potential energy will be.

Can electric potential energy be negative?

Yes, electric potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the two charged objects have opposite charges and are attracting each other. In this case, the work done by the electric force is negative, resulting in a negative electric potential energy.

How is electric potential energy used in everyday life?

Electric potential energy is used in many everyday devices, such as batteries, capacitors, and electric circuits. It is also used in power plants to generate electricity for homes and businesses. Additionally, electric potential energy is used in medical devices like defibrillators and pacemakers to regulate the heart's electric potential.