Electric Potential Energy with Three Postive Charges

In summary, the question asks for the change in electric potential energy for a charge released from rest at a position (0, 3.0 cm) in a field with 3 +2.5 μC charges at positions (-3.0 cm, 0), (3.0 cm, 0), and (0, 3.0 cm). The stored electric potential energy has been calculated to be 3.85 J. The answer is that the change in electric potential energy will be the negative value of the initial potential energy since the charge will be pushed back to infinity where the potential energy is zero.
starthorn

Homework Statement

You have 3 charges, all +2.5 μC arranged on a field at positions (-3.0 cm, 0), (3.0 cm, 0), and (0, 3.0 cm). I have already calculated the stored electric potential energy to be 3.85 J. The question is: If the third charge (0, 3.0 cm) is released from rest, what is its change in electric potential energy?

Homework Equations

EPE=(Kq1q2)/r12

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking that since the charge is released, it will be pushed away into inifinity and therefore the change in electric potential energy will be the negative value of the electric potential energy stored when it is at rest, but I am admittedly having a hard time thinking about potential and kinetic energy in terms of charge. I am definitely looking for more of a theoretical explanation than an explanation of the steps of the math. I am capable of doing the math, but I'm not sure where to start.
Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Electrical potential energy for a charge at a given point is defined as the negative of work done in bringing the charge from infinity to that given point. So, once released, it does get pushed back to infinity where the potential energy is zero. So your reasoning is correct that the change is

[tex]\Delta U = U_{final} - U_{initial}[/tex]

or

[tex]\Delta U = -U_{initial}[/tex]

Awesome, thank you so much, Infinitum!

Related to Electric Potential Energy with Three Postive Charges

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential energy calculated?

The electric potential energy of a system is calculated by multiplying the charge of the object by the electric potential difference between the two points in the electric field.

3. How does electric potential energy change with distance?

Electric potential energy decreases as the distance between the charged objects increases. This is because the electric force between the objects decreases with distance, resulting in a lower potential energy.

4. What is the relationship between electric potential energy and work?

Electric potential energy is the energy that is required to move a charged object from one point to another in an electric field. This energy is equivalent to the work done on the object by the electric force.

5. How does the presence of multiple positive charges affect electric potential energy?

The presence of multiple positive charges can increase or decrease the electric potential energy depending on their positions. If the charges are closer together, the potential energy will be higher due to the increased electric force between them. If the charges are further apart, the potential energy will be lower.

Back