Electric Potential Hemisphere Problem

In summary, the electric potential and electric field at the center of a hemisphere are V = \frac{\sigma}{2 \epsilon_0} and E = \frac{\sigma}{4\epsilon_0}, respectively.
Saketh
There is a hemisphere of radius R and surface charge density [itex]\sigma[/itex]. Find the electric potential and the magnitude of the electric field at the center of the hemisphere.​
I started by saying [tex]V = \int dV = \int \frac{\sigma dA}{4\pi \epsilon_0 R}[/tex]. This, at least, I am confident is correct.

Then, I changed [itex]dA[/itex] into [itex]Rd\theta[/itex] and [itex]Rd\alpha[/itex], where the first one goes across the hemisphere's surface, and the second one goes around the hemisphere's circular edge.

Continuing:
[tex]
V = \frac{\sigma R}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\int_{0}^{\pi/2}d\theta \int_{0}^{2\pi}d\alpha[/tex]
Which, when evaluated, gives me the wrong answer.

Oblivious to my error at the time, I continued to the second part.

[tex]E = \int dE = \int \frac{\sigma dA}{4\pi \epsilon_0 R^2}\hat{r}[/tex].
I said that [tex]\hat{r} = \cos{\theta}\hat{i} + \sin{\theta}\hat{j}[/tex]. Using similar logic as I did for the potential part of the problem, I continued:

[tex]
E = \frac{\sigma R}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\int_{0}^{\pi/2}\cos{\theta}\hat{i} + \sin{\theta}\hat{j} d\theta \int_{0}^{2\pi}d\alpha[/tex]

Which, when evaluated, also gives me the wrong answer. The correct answers for the parts are, respectively, [tex]V = \frac{\sigma R}{2 \epsilon_0}[/tex] and [tex]E = \frac{\sigma}{4\epsilon_0}[/tex].

I have no idea what I'm doing incorrectly. I've never done a three-dimensional integration before, but this is the way that I thought it should be done. What have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Saketh said:
There is a hemisphere of radius R and surface charge density [itex]\sigma[/itex]. Find the electric potential and the magnitude of the electric field at the center of the hemisphere.​
I started by saying [tex]V = \int dV = \int \frac{\sigma dA}{4\pi \epsilon_0 R}[/tex]. This, at least, I am confident is correct.

Then, I changed [itex]dA[/itex] into [itex]Rd\theta[/itex] and [itex]Rd\alpha[/itex], where the first one goes across the hemisphere's surface, and the second one goes around the hemisphere's circular edge.
I am not sure what you mean by this but from the rest of your calculation (which I did not check), you used [itex] dA = R^2 d\theta d\alpha [/itex]. But the correct relation is [itex] dA = R^2 sin \theta d\theta d\alpha [/itex]. You can see that your equation was not right since the total integral of da over a sphere should give [itex] 4 \pi R^2[/itex]. Your expression would give [itex] 2 \pi^2 R^2 [/itex].

nrqed said:
I am not sure what you mean by this but from the rest of your calculation (which I did not check), you used [itex] dA = R^2 d\theta d\alpha [/itex]. But the correct relation is [itex] dA = R^2 sin \theta d\theta d\alpha [/itex]. You can see that your equation was not right since the total integral of da over a sphere should give [itex] 4 \pi R^2[/itex]. Your expression would give [itex] 2 \pi^2 R^2 [/itex].
Yes - I don't understand why it's supposed to be [itex]dA = R^2 \sin{\theta} d\theta d\alpha[/itex]. Why is there a sine? I realize that [itex] dA = R^2 d\theta d\alpha [/itex] doesn't give the right answer, but conceptually I don't understand why there needs to be a [itex]\sin{\theta}[/itex].

I still don't get the second part. The solution puts in a cosine as well as a sine. If I understand why there's a sine in the equation for potential, I'll understand why it's here. However, I don't understand why there should be a cosine. The solution says that [tex]dE_z = dE \cos{\theta}[/tex], but I thought it would be [tex]dE_z = dE \sin{\theta}[/tex].

The reason the sin is there is because of the way the integral is done. You are integrating over two variables, the azimuthal and the zenith coordinates. The sin is introduced when integrating the azimuthal variable. The radius is actually Rsin(zenith angle). You then add up these strings into a hemisphere through the second integration.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/870/hemiyl3.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
mezarashi said:
The reason the sin is there is because of the way the integral is done. You are integrating over two variables, the azimuthal and the zenith coordinates. The sin is introduced when integrating the azimuthal variable. The radius is actually Rsin(zenith angle). You then add up these strings into a hemisphere through the second integration.
Ok, I think I get it now. The only way I'll see if I get it is by doing more problems, but your explanation makes me understand what's going on. Thanks!

Related to Electric Potential Hemisphere Problem

1. What is the Electric Potential Hemisphere Problem?

The Electric Potential Hemisphere Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the electric potential at different points on the surface of a hemisphere. This problem is often used to demonstrate the concept of electric potential and how it varies based on distance and location.

2. How is the Electric Potential Hemisphere Problem solved?

To solve the Electric Potential Hemisphere Problem, one must use the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the hemisphere, and r is the distance from the center of the hemisphere to the point of interest. This equation can then be used to calculate the electric potential at different points on the surface of the hemisphere.

3. What factors affect the electric potential in the hemisphere?

The electric potential in the hemisphere is affected by the charge of the hemisphere, the distance from the center of the hemisphere, and the location of the point of interest on the surface of the hemisphere. The electric potential decreases as the distance from the center increases and also varies based on the location of the point on the surface.

4. How does the Electric Potential Hemisphere Problem relate to real-world applications?

The Electric Potential Hemisphere Problem is relevant in understanding the behavior of electric fields and how they affect charged objects. This concept is crucial in understanding the functioning of electrical circuits and devices, and plays a significant role in the design of technology such as capacitors and batteries.

5. Are there any practical tips for solving the Electric Potential Hemisphere Problem?

Some helpful tips for solving the Electric Potential Hemisphere Problem include understanding the concept of electric potential, carefully setting up the problem with the given values, and using the correct units for all variables. It is also essential to double-check calculations and use the appropriate number of significant figures in the final answer.

Back