Electric potential in an open circuit

In summary: Hi yoyoloto! welcome to pf! In summary, if an uncharged capacitor is placed into an open circuit, the potential difference (voltage) across it will remain zero.
yoyoloto
Hi,

I was wondering, if a circuit is open, would capacitors still have a potential difference ?
If there is no potential difference, can we say its potential is 0 then obtain a charge equal to 0 for the capacitor's charge ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What I meant is that the capacitor isn't charged in the first place, the circuit is all set up and stuff but its never closed, therefore no current. So I don't think there could be any potential either, making its charge 0.

hi yoyoloto! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
yoyoloto said:
What I meant is that the capacitor isn't charged in the first place, the circuit is all set up and stuff but its never closed, therefore no current. So I don't think there could be any potential either, making its charge 0.

oh i see!

ok, then yes, if the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=112" is uncharged, and placed into an open circuit, the potential difference (voltage) across it will remain zero, an so will the charge :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
If the capacitor is uncharged, then it doesn't matter if the circuit is closed or open, the electric potential is zero. An uncharged capactor by itself is also zero electric potential.

The problem with schooling today. Typically, the answer is no. The capacitor will not acquire a charge connected to an open circuit and the student may build a simple lab circuit to reinforce this claim as taught. Allowing them to chug along with no further investigations with open potentials. Which is very misleading. I would encourage the student to further explore the open potential as follows and see what results you get.
Connect the capacitor across an open voltage but also connect a aerial to one plate only. Single wire. The cap will chargeup while drawing zero current from the source supply. Aka avramenko plug.
Any capacitor connected to an open voltage will indeed. Charge up so long as one of the plates has Access to free charges, including static charges along the surfaces but not closed loop back to your circuit. Remains electrically an open circuit from the source supply. Another way is an open voltage single wire with diode block to a cap and it's tank circuit closed by a spark gap. The output closed ckt having a single Earth connection but input driving side is open to the output ckt. Power can be produced via potential alone and has already been demonstrated all over the world and there are numerous patents on this technique.

Related to Electric potential in an open circuit

What is electric potential in an open circuit?

Electric potential in an open circuit refers to the electric potential difference, or voltage, between two points in an open circuit. It is measured in volts and represents the amount of energy required to move an electric charge from one point to another in the circuit.

How is electric potential different in an open circuit compared to a closed circuit?

In an open circuit, there is no complete path for the electric current to flow, so the electric potential remains constant throughout the circuit. In a closed circuit, the electric potential can vary depending on the resistance of the components in the circuit.

What factors can affect the electric potential in an open circuit?

The electric potential in an open circuit can be affected by the power source, the resistance of the components in the circuit, and the distance between the two points where the potential is measured.

Why is electric potential important in an open circuit?

Electric potential is important in an open circuit because it is the driving force for the flow of electric current. Without a difference in electric potential, there would be no flow of electrons and the circuit would not function.

How can the electric potential in an open circuit be measured?

The electric potential in an open circuit can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the difference in voltage between two points in a circuit. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the component or section of the circuit where the potential is being measured.

Back