Electric potential of hydrogen molecular ion

In summary, the hydrogen molecular ion is the simplest molecule with one electron and two protons. The electron, moving at 1.5 m/s perpendicular to a line between the protons, reaches a turning point after traveling a distance of -2.2E-21 nm. This calculation provides insight into the molecule, but an accurate description requires quantum mechanics.
smoics

Homework Statement

The hydrogen molecular ion , with one electron and two protons, is the simplest molecule. The equilibrium spacing between the protons is 0.11nm . Suppose the electron is at the midpoint between the protons and moving at 1.5 m/s perpendicular to a line between the protons.
How far (in nm ) does the electron move before reaching a turning point? Because of their larger mass, the protons remain fixed during this interval of time. Note, that an accurate description of H 1/2 requires quantum mechanics. Even so, a classical calculation like this provides some insight into the molecule.

Homework Equations

vf^2=vi^2+2adeltax
F=qE=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

deltax=-mvi^2/2qE=kq/r=E
And q=1.6*10^-19 and mass of proton=.67*10^-27. r=.055*10^-9 m. Is this the correct set-up? When I plug in the numbers, I keep getting weird numbers, but I think my methodology is correct...

Physics news on Phys.org
hi smoics! :smile:

(have a delta: ∆ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
smoics said:
deltax=-mvi^2/2qE=kq/r=E
And q=1.6*10^-19 and mass of proton=.67*10^-27. r=.055*10^-9 m. Is this the correct set-up? When I plug in the numbers, I keep getting weird numbers, but I think my methodology is correct...

you seem to have only one value of r :confused:

show us your full calculations :smile:

Okay, are you referencing electric field instead of force? Or using another equation that uses r?

Here's what I'm trying to do:

a=qE/m
a= ((9E9*1.6E-19)/(.055E-9)2/(9.1E-31)
a=5.23E-11

0=1.5E62+2(5.23E41)[tex]\Deltax[/tex]
x=-2.2E-21 nm

And I'm sorry there is such a big space before my last line--I tried to edit it, but it doesn't exist when I edit the message (there is no extra space when I edit the message).

hi smoics! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
smoics said:
Okay, are you referencing electric field instead of force? Or using another equation that uses r?

Here's what I'm trying to do:

a=qE/m
a= ((9E9*1.6E-19)/(.055E-9)2/(9.1E-31)
a=5.23E-11

0=1.5E62+2(5.23E41)[tex]\Delta x[/tex]

0=1.5E62+2(5.23E41)[tex]\Deltax[/tex]
x=-2.2E-21 nm

And I'm sorry there is such a big space before my last line--I tried to edit it, but it doesn't exist when I edit the message (there is no extra space when I edit the message).

(the LaTeX here has brain failure if you don't leave a space after "\Delta" :rolleyes:

see the code for the above :wink:)

sorry, i still don't understand what you're doing

you need a simple conservation of energy equation, KE(r0) = ∆PE :wink:

I was trying to solve for the accel. and then use kinematics to find x. I'll try conservation of energy instead:

I find the KE, by using 1/2=mv^2. And then this is equal to the potential energy at the turning point, where KE is 0. U=qV. Solve for V and then add the potential of both protons. Solve for E: E=kq/r^2. E=V/d, solving for d. Is this correct?

smoics said:
I'll try conservation of energy instead:

I find the KE, by using 1/2=mv^2. And then this is equal to the potential energy at the turning point, where KE is 0.

yup! :biggrin:
U=qV. Solve for V and then add the potential of both protons. Solve for E: E=kq/r^2. E=V/d, solving for d. Is this correct?

nooo :redface:

(yes, electric field is E= kq/r2, but that's not constant, so you can't use V = Er, you have to use V = ∫ Edr)

PE = -kq/r :smile:

You wrote that PE=-kq/r, but isn't PE at the turning point equal to the original KE?

Isn't there a way to solve it without integrating? Everything we've done in this class has been possible to do without calculus (I got AP credit for the calc I took in high school, so my memory of calculus is minimal).

Can I use W=FXd? I don't think so...

Thanks!

smoics said:
You wrote that PE=-kq/r, but isn't PE at the turning point equal to the original KE?

KE + PE = constant …

so 1/2 mv2 - kq/r0 = 0 - kq/r1 :wink:
Isn't there a way to solve it without integrating?

yes! :rolleyes:

PE = -kq/r :smile:

1.02E-18-((9E9)(1.6E-19)/(.055E-9))=-(9E9)(1.6E-19)/r
r=-5.5E-2 nm This is incorrect. Am I using the wrong r0 for the spacing b/w the electron and proton? It should be fairly easy to solve if I use the right numbers...

i'm finding it very difficult to understand what all these numbers mean :confused:

have you remembered that there are two protons, and that r1 is the distance from each proton, not the distance from the starting-point?

I'm using 0.055 nm as the r0 (half the equilibrium spacing b/w the protons). So the r1 I'm solving for, do I add some length to it to account for the distance from starting point?

I should have scanned in my work, it's easier than typing it...

I wasn't accounting for the two protons, by multiplying kq/r by 2. Thanks!

Related to Electric potential of hydrogen molecular ion

1. What is the electric potential of a hydrogen molecular ion?

The electric potential of a hydrogen molecular ion is the amount of electrical energy needed to move a unit of positive charge from infinity to a specific point in space within the ion's electric field. It can also be defined as the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space.

2. How is the electric potential of a hydrogen molecular ion calculated?

The electric potential of a hydrogen molecular ion can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the ion, and r is the distance from the ion. This formula is derived from Coulomb's law, which describes the force between two charged particles.

3. What factors affect the electric potential of a hydrogen molecular ion?

The electric potential of a hydrogen molecular ion is affected by the charge of the ion, the distance from the ion, and the distribution of charge within the ion. Additionally, the presence of other nearby ions or electric fields can also impact the electric potential of the ion.

4. How does the electric potential of a hydrogen molecular ion relate to its ionization energy?

The electric potential of a hydrogen molecular ion is directly related to its ionization energy, which is the energy required to remove an electron from the ion. A higher electric potential means a higher ionization energy, as it takes more energy to overcome the attractive force of the ion's positive charge and remove an electron.

5. Is the electric potential of a hydrogen molecular ion constant?

No, the electric potential of a hydrogen molecular ion is not constant. It can vary depending on the distance from the ion, the presence of other electric fields, and the movement of the ion itself. Additionally, as an ion gains or loses electrons, its electric potential will also change.