Electric Potential- quick question about process

In summary, the question is asking for the distance of closest approach between an alpha particle and a lead nucleus, given the kinetic energy of the alpha particle and the atomic numbers of the particles. The solution involves using the equation V=kq/r and converting the kinetic energy from MeV to Joules by multiplying by the conversion factor 1.6e-19. This is because the electric potential is measured in Joules and the given energy is in MeV. This conversion factor can be found in resources such as textbooks or online.
SuperCass
Electric Potential-- quick question about process

Homework Statement

An alpha particle with kinetic energy 10 MeV makes a head-on collision with a lead nucleus at rest. What is the distance of closest approach of the two particles? (Assume that the lead nucleus remains stationary and that it may be treated as a point charge. The atomic number of lead is 82. The alpha particle is a helium nucleus, with atomic number 2.)

Homework Equations

V=kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.solvephysics.com/electricity_problem26.shtml
I tried going by this site to solve this. I would just like to know why in the Einitial equation they multiply the 10MeV by 1.6e-19. Why do they do that? I don't understand.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

SuperCass said:

Homework Statement

An alpha particle with kinetic energy 10 MeV makes a head-on collision with a lead nucleus at rest. What is the distance of closest approach of the two particles? (Assume that the lead nucleus remains stationary and that it may be treated as a point charge. The atomic number of lead is 82. The alpha particle is a helium nucleus, with atomic number 2.)

Homework Equations

V=kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.solvephysics.com/electricity_problem26.shtml
I tried going by this site to solve this. I would just like to know why in the Einitial equation they multiply the 10MeV by 1.6e-19. Why do they do that? I don't understand.

Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronvolt

Thank you so much, I would have never gotten that on my own!

SuperCass said:
Thank you so much, I would have never gotten that on my own!

It should be in your textbook as well.

FAQ: Electric Potential- quick question about process

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of work required to move a unit positive charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge of the particle. The formula for electric potential is V = U/Q, where V is electric potential, U is electric potential energy, and Q is the charge of the particle.

3. How does electric potential differ from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric field at a specific point, while electric potential energy is the amount of energy stored in a charged particle due to its position in an electric field. Electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric potential energy is a vector quantity.

4. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is directly related to electric field. The electric field is the negative derivative of the electric potential. This means that the electric field is the slope of the electric potential graph at any point.

5. How is electric potential used in practical applications?

Electric potential is used in a variety of practical applications, including in the design and operation of electronic devices such as computers, phones, and appliances. It is also used in power generation and distribution, as well as in medical equipment such as MRI machines.