Electric Potential within a Vector.

In summary, the conversation is about a user looking for help with a problem involving electric charges. They are advised to treat the charges as vectors and use the superposition principle to find the necessary charge at a specific location for the electric potential to be zero at the origin.
SubluxT7
Hi everyone, this is my first shot at posting here. I'm looking for a way to attack this problem and needless to say i just can't figure it out. Here is the problem.

A charge of +16.1 µC is located at (4.40 m, 6.02 m) , and a charge of -12.8 µC is located at (-4.50 m, 6.75 m) . What charge must be located at (2.23 m, -3.01 m) if the electric potential is to be zero at the origin?

If anyone can give some thoughts on how i should proceed with this, would be greatly appreciated.:bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
Just treat the two as vectors, one positive one negative, and add them together. Reverse the sign of the vector you get and that's what you need to balance the equation.

The electric potential obeys the superposition principle.

FAQ: Electric Potential within a Vector.

1. What is electric potential within a vector?

Electric potential within a vector is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is a vector quantity that represents the electrical potential energy per unit charge at that point in a specific direction.

2. How is electric potential within a vector different from electric potential?

Electric potential within a vector takes into account the direction of the electric field, while electric potential does not. Electric potential within a vector is a vector quantity, while electric potential is a scalar quantity.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric potential within a vector?

The formula for electric potential within a vector is V = U/q, where V is electric potential within a vector, U is the potential energy, and q is the charge at a specific point in an electric field.

4. Can electric potential within a vector have a negative value?

Yes, electric potential within a vector can have a negative value. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the vector. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the vector when interpreting the value of electric potential within a vector.

5. How is electric potential within a vector used in practical applications?

Electric potential within a vector is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits and in the understanding of the behavior of particles in electric fields. It is also used in the calculation of electric potential energy and in the study of electric potential and voltage in different systems.

Back