Electric Potentials (4 charges on corners of a rectangle)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric potentials of points A and B located in the corners of a rectangle, where other charges q1 and q2 are also located. The electric field and potential equations are mentioned, and it is suggested to use superposition and Gauss's Law to calculate the potentials.
Unto

Homework Statement

A rectangle has sides of length 5cm (right and left) and 15cm (top and bottom).

Top left corner has charge (q1) = -5uC
Top right corner has charge A = ?
Bottom left corner has charge B = ?
Bottom right corner has charge (q2) = 2uC

a) What are the electric potentials of A and B
b)How much external work is required to move a third charge (q3 = 3uC) from B to A along the diagonal of the rectangle

Homework Equations

Not too sure. For part b I'm thinking I would use a line intergral and say that the diagonal path from A to B is equivilent to going from B to q1, then q1 to A.

V = U/Qo

But where will I get U (potential energy) from?

The Attempt at a Solution

What I really want is part a, once part a is done I can just do some line intergrals to find the work done for part b.

Do I use equipotentials? So potential of A is the same as potential of q1? B is the same as q2?

Any pointers and I'm very grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the potential due to a point charge as a function of distance. The potentials add at any given point in space. How is the electric field created by a point charge related to the potential?

I'm still confused sorry. Say if I wanted to find the potential of A, which is in the top right corner. It is inbetween two different fields created by charges q1 and q2. I cannot just find the electric field of one, then say 'since A is a distance r from this charge it's potential is this'? It doesn't make sense. Don't fields superimpose?

And the fact that I'm working with a damn rectangle makes it more harder to interpretate.

Please, more help :(

Electric field of q1 at B: -1.8E7 Nc-1
Electric field of q1 at A: -2E6 Nc-1
Electric field of q2 at B: 8E5 Nc-1
Electric field of q2 at A: 7.2E6 Nc-1

K so these are the electric fields using the distances on the rectangle. Now to find the potentials of A and B, how to do this?

K, A and B are just corners... Hmm..

Electric fields superimpose and so do potentials. Potentials are scalars so the superposition is straightforward. You should be able to find the potential of a point charge anywhere in space from

[tex]V=-\int^r_\infty\vec{E}\cdot\mbox{d}\vec{r'}[/tex]

and Gauss's Law can be used to find the E field of a point charge as a function of r. The upper limit r is the distance from the point charge to a corner.

FAQ: Electric Potentials (4 charges on corners of a rectangle)

1. How do electric potentials work for charges on corners of a rectangle?

Electric potentials are a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in space. For charges on corners of a rectangle, the electric potentials depend on the distance between the charges and the angle between the lines connecting the charges.

2. How is the electric potential at the center of a rectangle affected by the charges on the corners?

The electric potential at the center of a rectangle is affected by the charges on the corners through a mathematical formula that takes into account the distances and angles between the charges. The net electric potential at the center can be calculated by adding the individual electric potentials due to each charge.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field for charges on corners of a rectangle?

Electric potential and electric field are related by the equation E = -ΔV/Δx, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and x is the distance. This means that the electric field is proportional to the change in electric potential over a certain distance. In the case of charges on corners of a rectangle, the electric field will be affected by the distance between the charges and the angle between the lines connecting the charges.

4. How do the charges on the corners of a rectangle affect the total electric potential of the system?

The charges on the corners of a rectangle contribute to the total electric potential of the system. The total electric potential is the sum of the individual electric potentials due to each charge. This means that the more charges there are on the corners of the rectangle, the higher the total electric potential will be.

5. Can the electric potential at a point in space be negative for charges on corners of a rectangle?

Yes, the electric potential at a point in space can be negative for charges on corners of a rectangle. This can happen when the electric potential due to one charge is greater than the electric potential due to another charge, resulting in a negative net electric potential at that point. It is important to note that the sign of the electric potential does not affect the direction of the electric field, as it is always perpendicular to the equipotential surfaces.

Back