Electrical circuit related problem

In summary, the conversation is about determining the value of voltage Vx across a 3A current source. The suggested solution is to find the voltage across the 4 ohm resistance and subtract it from the power sources using KVL. The confusion arises regarding which power source should be positive and which one should be negative, but it is clarified that the voltage sources are labeled with their polarities and the math will take care of itself. The conversation ends with the solution being found.
Yammy

Homework Statement

Determine the value of the voltage Vx
across the 3A current source.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really confused about how to do it. What I thought of is to find the voltage across the 4 ohm resistance which is 12 V. I though of subtracting that from the power sources.

But I am not sure which power source should be positive and which one should be negative?
Should I just assume the bigger 6V to be positive just because it is the bigger power source?
I might be completely wrong on this one. So please help me. This is not really a homework problem, this is in one of my practice tests, so I would appreciate any proper explanation I can get, rather than vague hints.
Thank you.

Attachments

• ECE2.JPG
    ECE2.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh and please look at the attachment for the diagram

Yammy said:

Homework Statement

Determine the value of the voltage Vx
across the 3A current source.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really confused about how to do it. What I thought of is to find the voltage across the 4 ohm resistance which is 12 V. I though of subtracting that from the power sources.
Sure, sounds like a good idea. Use KVL around the left loop.
But I am not sure which power source should be positive and which one should be negative?
Should I just assume the bigger 6V to be positive just because it is the bigger power source?
The voltage sources are labeled with their polarities so no need to guess! Just do a "KVL walk" around the loop in either direction and sum up the potential changes as you go. The math will take care of itself.

ya u r right. Got it and thanks a lot.

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with this electrical circuit problem. It is important to understand that in order to solve this problem, we need to use Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) and Ohm's law.

First, let's label the unknown voltage Vx as a variable, say x. Then, we can write the KVL equation for the loop containing the 3A current source, the 4 ohm resistor, and the two voltage sources as follows:

-6V + x - 12V = 0

Now, let's use Ohm's law to relate the voltage x to the current flowing through the 4 ohm resistor. We know that the current through a resistor is equal to the voltage across it divided by its resistance. Therefore, we can write:

x = (4 ohm)(Ix)

where Ix is the current flowing through the 4 ohm resistor. We can also use Ohm's law to relate the current Ix to the current source of 3A. Since the current source and the resistor are in series, they have the same current flowing through them. Therefore:

Ix = 3A

Now, we can substitute this into our KVL equation to solve for x:

-6V + (4 ohm)(3A) - 12V = 0
-6V + 12V - 12V = 0
x = 6V

Therefore, the voltage across the 3A current source is 6V. We can also verify this by calculating the voltage across the 6V source, which should also be 6V. This means that the positive terminal of the 6V source is connected to the positive terminal of the 3A current source, and the negative terminal of the 6V source is connected to the negative terminal of the 3A current source.

I hope this explanation helps you understand how to approach and solve this type of problem. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies.

Sincerely,

FAQ: Electrical circuit related problem

1. What is an electrical circuit?

An electrical circuit is a path or loop through which electric current can flow. It consists of a power source, such as a battery, conductors, and components, such as resistors and capacitors, that are connected by wires.

2. What are the common problems that can occur in an electrical circuit?

There are several common problems that can occur in an electrical circuit, including short circuits, open circuits, overloading, and voltage drops. These issues can result in a loss of power, damage to components, and potential safety hazards.

3. How can I troubleshoot an electrical circuit problem?

To troubleshoot an electrical circuit problem, you can start by checking the power source and ensuring that all connections are secure. Then, you can use a multimeter to test for continuity and voltage at various points in the circuit. If necessary, you can also replace faulty components.

4. What is the purpose of a fuse or circuit breaker in an electrical circuit?

A fuse or circuit breaker is designed to protect the circuit from overloading and overheating. It acts as a safety measure by interrupting the flow of electricity if the current exceeds a certain level, preventing damage to the circuit and potential fire hazards.

5. Can I modify an electrical circuit on my own?

It is not recommended to modify an electrical circuit on your own unless you have the necessary knowledge and experience. Any modifications should be made by a qualified electrician to ensure the safety and functionality of the circuit.