Electrical Engineer Academic Disciplines

In summary, it is important to have knowledge in both analogue and digital electronics, and it may be beneficial to choose a subdiscipline outside of telecommunications to broaden your skills. Telecommunication technology has a big future and it is important to choose a specialization that you are passionate about.
engineer_emp
Hello everyone! I am studying electrical & computer engineering and I have to choose a sector to specialize in. I am 100% sure that I like mostly the lessons considering energy distribution systems, telecommunication systems and electronics. So I decided to choose the subdisciplines of telecommunications/networks and analogue electronics. Yet, I have one more sector that I can take subjects from. However I have some questions:

1) Analogue electronics seem interesting to me, but are they in use today? Should I combine them with some digital electronics subjects? I was thinking of taking some courses from Digital Signal Processing, Digital VLSI, Embedded Systems and Microprocessors. Which 2 of those would you suggest?

2)Considering that I find electric power systems very interesting, I was thinking of choosing this as my 3rd subdiscipline. The other choice (easier one) is to choose the Management Discipline. Do you think that by choosing power systems I would be overextending?

Basically my questions arise from the fact that I rarely see telecommunication subjects discussed and despite the fact that I like communications (FM/AM/Digital communications etc) very much, I am not sure that there are many things to do in that sector in the future :( So a third question would be:

3) Do you think that telecommunication technology has a big future in front of it or mankind has mostly solved such problems?

Thank you all for your time! :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! As a fellow scientist, I understand your dilemma in choosing a specialization within electrical and computer engineering. Here are my thoughts on your questions:

1) Analogue electronics are definitely still in use today, especially in industries such as audio and video equipment, medical devices, and automotive electronics. However, it is important to also have knowledge in digital electronics as most modern systems use a combination of both. I would recommend taking courses in Digital Signal Processing and Digital VLSI as they are widely used in various applications.

2) It is great that you find electric power systems interesting, and it is a crucial aspect of our daily lives. However, if you are already specializing in telecommunications and analogue electronics, it may be beneficial to choose a different subdiscipline to broaden your knowledge and skills. Management Discipline can also be useful as it provides a business perspective, which is important in any industry.

3) Telecommunication technology is constantly evolving and there will always be a need for advancements in this field. With the increasing demand for faster and more efficient communication, there is definitely a big future for telecommunication technology. It is a dynamic and ever-changing field, so there will always be new challenges and problems to solve.

Overall, my advice would be to choose a subdiscipline that you are passionate about and can see yourself working in for the long term. It is also important to have a well-rounded knowledge in different areas of electrical and computer engineering to have a diverse skill set. Best of luck in your studies!

FAQ: Electrical Engineer Academic Disciplines

What is an electrical engineer?

An electrical engineer is a professional who designs, develops, and tests electrical systems and components. They are responsible for creating a wide range of devices and systems, from small circuits to large power grids.

What academic disciplines are involved in electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering involves a variety of academic disciplines, including mathematics, physics, computer science, and materials science. Other important areas of study include electronics, circuit design, and systems engineering.

What skills are necessary for a career in electrical engineering?

In addition to a strong understanding of math and science, electrical engineers also need excellent problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and strong communication abilities. They must also be able to think critically and work well in a team.

What kind of job opportunities are available for electrical engineers?

Electrical engineers can work in a wide range of industries, including telecommunications, energy, aerospace, and manufacturing. They can hold positions such as design engineer, project manager, research and development engineer, and systems analyst.

What is the future outlook for careers in electrical engineering?

The demand for skilled electrical engineers is expected to continue to grow, with the Bureau of Labor Statistics projecting a 5% increase in job opportunities from 2018 to 2028. As technology continues to advance, there will be a need for electrical engineers to design and develop new systems and devices.