Electrical Engineering Op Amps Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses using KCL to solve for current in a circuit involving an op amp. The person is confused about whether or not to include the current, Ix, in the KCL equation and is struggling to find a simple solution. They are advised to solve for the voltages first and then use V=IR to solve for the current.
Bahester

Homework Statement

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a45/bahester9/opamps1.jpg

Homework Equations

I know I can use KCL to solve at a node if I was looking for like a voltage. But I'm not sure really about the current, Ix.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Ix has to somehow be involved, so I tried to maybe do KCL at the node where Ix is. I know that there should be no current in or out of the op amp, so when I did my KCL equation for that node I got iR3 + iR4 = 0. However, there is no Ix in that equation either so I was confused as to if the equation should instead be iR3 + iR4 + Ix = 0. Then maybe solve for Ix? However I'm getting very confused and I think there's a simple way to do this, but I've confused myself a great deal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bahester said:

Homework Statement

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a45/bahester9/opamps1.jpg

Homework Equations

I know I can use KCL to solve at a node if I was looking for like a voltage. But I'm not sure really about the current, Ix.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Ix has to somehow be involved, so I tried to maybe do KCL at the node where Ix is. I know that there should be no current in or out of the op amp, so when I did my KCL equation for that node I got iR3 + iR4 = 0. However, there is no Ix in that equation either so I was confused as to if the equation should instead be iR3 + iR4 + Ix = 0. Then maybe solve for Ix? However I'm getting very confused and I think there's a simple way to do this, but I've confused myself a great deal.

(Boy, that circuit sure is drawn goofy!)

Welcome to the PF.

Go ahead and solve for the voltages, and then just use V=IR to solve for the current.

Related to Electrical Engineering Op Amps Problem

1. What is an op amp and how does it work?

An op amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It has high input impedance, low output impedance, and high gain. It works by using a differential amplifier stage followed by a gain stage to amplify the difference between the two input voltages.

2. What are the common problems encountered when using op amps?

Some common problems encountered when using op amps include offset voltage, offset drift, input bias currents, input offset currents, and slew rate. These issues can affect the accuracy and stability of the output voltage.

3. How do you solve op amp problems?

To solve op amp problems, the first step is to identify the specific issue. Then, the appropriate circuit design or component selection can be made to address the problem. Some common solutions include using offset nulling techniques, increasing the feedback resistance, or using a different type of op amp with better specifications.

4. What are some applications of op amps?

Op amps are used in a wide range of applications, including audio amplifiers, signal conditioning, filters, oscillators, and voltage regulators. They are also commonly used in instrumentation and control systems, medical devices, and communication systems.

5. How do you choose the right op amp for a specific application?

The right op amp for a specific application depends on several factors, including the required gain, bandwidth, input and output voltage ranges, power supply voltage, and temperature range. It is important to carefully consider these specifications and choose an op amp with the best performance and cost for the application.