Electrical Engineering vs Physics

In summary, the individual is currently a freshman electrical engineering student who is considering transferring to a physics program. They initially chose their current program due to their interest in electronics, but they also enjoyed physics in high school. They particularly enjoyed their senior year physics class, which included topics such as sound waves, circuits, electromagnets, and optics. They have considered pursuing a program in Optical Engineering, but it is not available at the universities they have applied to. They are currently enjoying their physics class more than their major classes and are considering joining a physics organization. They are seeking guidance in making their decision and are interested in learning more about the day-to-day activities of a physics major.
lonelypancreas
Hi,

I'm currently a freshman electrical engineering student in a university and I'm having a dilemma if I am to transfer to physics or no. First of all, I chose my current program because of our electronics elective class in high school. I enjoyed the experiments back then and the projects as well. But in time with that, I was also taking physics then. I didn't quite enjoy the "introductory high school physics" during my junior year (we have two physics from junior to senior year) but in my senior year, it was my favorite among all classes. Senior year physics included sound waves (Doppler effects, dB's, etc.), AC & DC circuits, electromagnets, and the most interesting topic for me was Optics. I enjoyed our laboratory activity with the different kinds of lenses then. When I was still looking for a program to major in, I even considered finding an "Optical Engineering" program but unfortunately, it's not available in any universities that I've applied for. Then I ended up being accepted in Electrical Engineering. Now, I have two major classes, the Introduction to Electrical and Electronics Engineering and Programming Fundamentals in which I like the former more than the latter. But in comparison to both, I'm really enjoying my Physics class. I tend to answer book problems during spare times and finish my problem sets in advance unlike in my majors, I tend to cram everything. Even now I consider joining a physics organization. I just want to hear comments on my situation right now. I also want to know the day-to-day activities of being a physics major (or an optics physicist).

I hope that you can guide me and help me make the correct decision.

Thanks,
Claudio

Physics news on Phys.org
lonelypancreas said:
nd the most interesting topic for me was Optics. I enjoyed our laboratory activity with the different kinds of lenses then. When I was still looking for a program to major in, I even considered finding an "Optical Engineering" program but unfortunately, it's not available in any universities that I've applied for. Then I ended up being accepted in Electrical Engineering.
As I can read, you like physics even more than engineering. Neither of them is a ''better'' discipline, it depends of what you really want to do. If you major in a physics program, you will follow an optic class, but the program is not oriented only in optics, you will have to go through relativity, quantum mechanics and a lot of maths. You may want to consider a Master degree. During your master, you can specialize in optics and there are plenty of subjects to specialize in : optic fibers, photonic crystals, lenses, etc. To achieve this Master, you can major either in physics or electrical engineering. It really depends of what you want to learn during your undergraduate studies. In my personal opinion, physics is really nice, but you learn a lot of physics in engineering too, it is up to you if you want to go deeper in physics or not.

Likes lonelypancreas

FAQ: Electrical Engineering vs Physics

1. What is the main difference between electrical engineering and physics?

The main difference between electrical engineering and physics is their focus. Electrical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. Physics, on the other hand, is a natural science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. While both fields deal with similar concepts, electrical engineering focuses on practical applications while physics focuses on theoretical understanding.

2. Can someone with a degree in physics work as an electrical engineer?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a degree in physics to work as an electrical engineer. However, they may need to acquire additional knowledge and skills through further education or on-the-job training. Many concepts and principles in physics are applicable to electrical engineering, making it easier for someone with a physics background to transition into this field.

3. Which field has better job opportunities, electrical engineering or physics?

Both electrical engineering and physics have good job opportunities, but they may differ in terms of the specific roles and industries. Electrical engineers have a wider range of job opportunities in industries such as power and energy, telecommunications, and electronics. Physics graduates may find job opportunities in research and development, academia, and technology companies.

4. Is it possible to major in both electrical engineering and physics?

Yes, some universities offer dual majors or double degrees in electrical engineering and physics. This allows students to gain knowledge and skills in both fields and opens up more career opportunities. However, it may require additional time and effort to complete both majors.

5. What skills are needed to excel in electrical engineering and physics?

To excel in electrical engineering and physics, strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical skills are essential. In electrical engineering, practical skills such as circuit design and troubleshooting are also important. In physics, a strong understanding of theoretical concepts and the ability to apply them to real-world problems is crucial. Good communication and teamwork skills are also beneficial in both fields.