Electrical field near infinite, charged rod

In summary, the problem involves calculating the electric field at point P, located at a distance of 0.6m from the center of an infinitely long charged rod. The charge density of the rod is represented by λ=-CX^2, where C=10^-3C/m^3. The equation for the electric field is found by solving for dq, R, and dE, and integrating over all values of dx. The resulting equation for the electric field is 2Kλ/a, with a direction perpendicular to the rod. The value of λ cannot be calculated without additional information, but it can be represented as Q/L for a finite length rod with total charge Q.
klm_spitifre

Homework Statement

Calculate the electric field at point ##P## if the distance from the center of an infinitely long, charged rod to point ##P## is ##a = 0.6m##; the charge density equals ##\lambda = -CX^2##, ##C=10^{-3}C/m^3##. Show all steps in finding the equation of the field, then find the magnitude and direction of ##\vec{E}## at point ##P##.

Screen_Shot_2018_01_25_at_1_01_03_PM.png

2. The attempt at a solution
My professor actually solved the first part of this problem during lecture:
[tex]
dq = \lambda dx\\
R = \sqrt{a^2+x^2}\\
d\vec{E} = \frac{K dq}{R^2} = \frac{K \lambda dx}{a^2+x^2}\\
cos\theta = \frac{a}{R} = \frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2+x^2}}\\
d\vec{E}_{x} = d\vec{E}cos\theta = \frac{K \lambda dx}{a^2+x^2} \cdot \frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2+x^2}} = \frac{K \lambda a dx}{(a^2+x^2)^{3/2}}\\
\vec{E}_{x} = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} d\vec{E}_{x} = K a \lambda \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{dx}{(a^2+x^2)^{3/2}} = \frac{2K\lambda}{a}
[/tex]

Based off of my understanding of the problem, and the solution above, I'd wager the direction will be perpendicular to the rod in question. What throws me off is ##\lambda##. I get it represents the charge density (i.e. charge per unit distance), but the way it was defined in the original question throws me off. Namely, what is ##X##? Assuming the problem was solved correctly, and ##X## represents some constant, I should be able to plug ##C##, ##X##, ##K##, and ##a## into ##\frac{2K(-CX^2)}{a}## to get the magnitude -- right?

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2018_01_25_at_1_01_03_PM.png
    Screen_Shot_2018_01_25_at_1_01_03_PM.png
    4 KB · Views: 255
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kim_spitifre and welcome to PF.

The problem was solved correctly. Note that ##x## is not a constant but a variable. It represents the position along the rod of a length element ##dx## from an origin chosen such that point P is at coordinates {0, a}. Thus an element of length ##dx## on the rod bears charge ##dq=\lambda~dx##.

Thanks for the welcome & response! :) So, dq = lambda * dx (seems) to make sense, but I think I'm missing the bigger picture. Given the final equation in the above solution, am I expected to calculate lambda before I can solve for the magnitude? If so, I'm not sure how...

klm_spitifre said:
am I expected to calculate lambda before I can solve for the magnitude? If so, I'm not sure how...
No, you cannot calculate λ, it is supposed to be given because you have an infinite rod. If the rod were of finite length L and had total charg Q, then λ = Q/L. Do you see the difference?

Related to Electrical field near infinite, charged rod

1. What is an infinite charged rod?

An infinite charged rod is a hypothetical object that has an infinite length and carries a constant electric charge throughout its length. It is often used as a simplified model in electrostatics problems.

2. What is an electrical field?

An electrical field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force that an electric charge would experience if placed in that field. It is represented by vector arrows pointing in the direction of the force.

3. How is the electrical field near an infinite charged rod calculated?

The electrical field near an infinite charged rod is calculated using the formula E = λ/2πε0r, where λ is the linear charge density (charge per unit length) of the rod, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the rod.

4. Does the electrical field near an infinite charged rod vary with distance?

Yes, the electrical field near an infinite charged rod varies inversely with distance. This means that the strength of the field decreases as the distance from the rod increases.

5. What are some real-life applications of an infinite charged rod?

An infinite charged rod is often used as a simplified model in electrostatics problems to study the behavior of electric fields. It can also be used to simulate the field near a long, straight wire or a charged filament. Additionally, it can be used in the design and analysis of electrostatic precipitators, which are devices used to remove particulates from industrial exhaust streams.