Electrical Questions for Beginners: Voltage & Amperage Effects

In summary: Equivalent cost over time)In summary, a voltage multiplier increases the amperage available from a transformer. There is no amperage multiplier.
buddhaman
i wanted to say hi and i have a couple questions. I'm letting everyone know that i have the electrical understanding of a basic beginner. first question: what are the effects of a voltage multiplier on amperage? second question: is there an amperage multiplier? thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
buddhaman said:
i wanted to say hi and i have a couple questions. I'm letting everyone know that i have the electrical understanding of a basic beginner. first question: what are the effects of a voltage multiplier on amperage? second question: is there an amperage multiplier? thanks.

Welcome to the PF!

The simplest example of what you are asking about is a transformer, for AC signals only. By adjusting the turns ratio, you can adjust the ratio of AC input voltage to output voltage, with a corresponding (but inverse) change in the current available (because a transformer is a passive device, with power out = power in, for an ideal lossless transformer)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

For "active" devices (where you put additional power in, like with active amplifier circuits), you can do whatever you want with voltage ratios and current ratios.

ok i pretty much get it. I'm looking to make 14.4VDC turn into 144VAC and 100 amps turn into 900.

wow, that's a lot! (129.6kVA)! To put this in perspective, a standard 200A service to a house is only ~45kVA. Or, another way of looking at it, if you had 100 * 220Ah deep cycle batteries, you could support a 100% efficient conversion at full load for about 2.44 hours. In reality I doubt you could get better than 70% efficiency in your conversion, and you would want to limit the battery discharge to about 50%, so your "real world" inverter, with 100 batteries, might have 51 minutes of run time before you damaged them.

You are talking about enough power to run your house and two of your neighbor's houses with every single appliance running wide open!

Anyway, Good Luck!

Fish

ok. that's the amperage i need for an electric car motor.

Yea, I figured it had to do with a car. So, really you do not need to "convert" anything, you simply need to use series-parallel batteries to achieve the requisite voltage/amperage/capacity. The Tesla Roadster uses the 18650 form factor Lithium Ion Batteries, here are the specs:

Specifications:

* Nominal Voltage: 3.7V
* Size: 18650 (Cylindrical)
* Capacity: 2800 mAh
* Chemistry: Lithium Ion (Rechargeable Li-Ion)
* Brand: LG
* Max Charging current: 2.7A
* Max Discharging current: 5A
* Included Qty: 1Dimensions:

* Length: 65 mm
* Diameter: 18 mm
* Weight: 46.5 g (1.64 Oz)
They use 100 batteries in series (nominal 375V) per "cell" and 50 "cells" in parallel to provide 53.5kWh of storage capacity from 5000 batteries. Obviously if you plan on using a motor requiring a nominal 144V, then you would want to put ~40 in series per "cell". Your storage capacity would then be 414.4Wh per cell. If you wanted to be able to supply 900A maximum, you would need a minimum of 180 "cells" (900A / 5A max draw per cell), for a total of 7,200 batteries, and a storage capacity of ~75kWh.

Current low quantity street cost of the above mentioned 18650 2.8Ah battery is ~$15.50 setting the retail value of your battery pack ~$111,600. Buying this volume of batteries in pre-assembled "cells" would likely reduce your cost by about 50%, or ~$55k.

Assuming you wanted to be able to charge the entire battery pack assembly simultaneously at the full charging rate, you would require ~150V @ 486A. Obviously this would require more than the "normal" 200A service most homes have. And boy would this thing spin your meter, hehe.

Sounds like a fun project! Good Luck!

Fish

Last edited:
what about 12- 12v deep cycle batteries?

buddhaman said:
what about 12- 12v deep cycle batteries?

220AH is a pretty standard "heavy duty" deep cycle lead/acid battery, they run ~$450 each. 12 of them in series would give you your nominal 144V with about 26kWh of storage at near full discharge, closer to 15kWh at a sustainable discharge level. They would weigh in at slightly over 1200lbs as opposed to the 738lbs for the above mentioned 75kWh of lithium ion storage, but the up-front cost is only ~$6k for your 12V deep cycles. The lithium ion service life is 3 to 9 times as long as the lead-acid batteries, so if this is a long-term project, they are the way to go:

@ 3 times service life & 3 times capacity... 9 * $6,000 = $54,000 (Equivalent cost over time)
@ 9 times service life & 5 times capacity... 45 * $6000 = $270,000 (Equivalent cost over time)

To get the same storage capacity (assuming 50% discharge):

15kWh * 5 = 75kWh

So, you would need 12 * 5 deep cycles = $30,000, but the weight would be close to 6000lbs!

Anyway, you can figure out how far you can get on 15kWh (1 gallon of gasoline = ~34kWh of energy). Do remember that electric energy is converted to motion more efficiently than an ICE converts gasoline, so 15kWh will take you further than 1/2 a gallon of gas will. How much further depends on the efficiency of your motor and speed control electronics.

The Tesla mentioned previously, with 53kWh storage capacity can travel up to 200 miles between charge cycles. This implies it uses 265Wh per mile. Assuming charging efficiency of 75%, it would take ~71kWh to fully charge the batteries. @ $0.15/kWh it would take $10.65 per 200 miles, or $0.05325/mile in fuel. Assuming an economy car gets 40mpg under similar circumstances and gas costs $3.00/gallon the cost to drive the same 200 miles would be $15.

Using the Tesla figures of 265Wh/mile, I would think the best range you could hope for (without damaging your batteries) would be 15kWh/265Wh = 56.6 miles. If you used the 75kWh battery pask outlined above, 75kWh/265 = 283 miles.

Just thought I would finish the math for you :-) I am not attempting to discourage you, only make sure you are going in eyes-wide-open.

Fish

not discouraging at all, i appreciate all the help. like i said, i have pretty much no knowledge of electronics and such which is why I'm asking a lot of questions.

Related to Electrical Questions for Beginners: Voltage & Amperage Effects

1. What is the difference between voltage and amperage?

Voltage is the measure of electrical potential energy between two points, while amperage is the measure of the flow of electrical current. In simpler terms, voltage is the force that pushes electrons, while amperage is the actual movement of electrons.

2. How are voltage and amperage related?

According to Ohm's Law, voltage is directly proportional to amperage and resistance. This means that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in amperage, while an increase in resistance will result in a decrease in amperage.

3. What is the unit of measurement for voltage and amperage?

Voltage is measured in volts (V), while amperage is measured in amperes (A). In some cases, amperage may also be measured in milliamperes (mA) or kiloamperes (kA).

4. How does voltage and amperage affect electrical devices?

The voltage and amperage of a circuit can determine the amount of power that is supplied to an electrical device. If the voltage is too low, the device may not function properly, while a high voltage can cause damage. Similarly, too much amperage can overload a device, while a low amperage may not provide enough power for it to function.

5. Can voltage and amperage be dangerous?

Yes, both voltage and amperage can be dangerous if not handled properly. High voltage and amperage can cause electric shock, burns, and even death. It is important to always follow safety precautions and use appropriate equipment when dealing with electricity.