Electrical Questions: Resistance, Resistor & Ohm's Law

• Thread starter jensen91522
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, the conversation discusses various problems related to resistance, Ohm's Law, and calculations involving copper wire and a resistor with colored bands. The first problem involves determining the relative resistance of two pieces of copper wire with different diameters, while the second problem focuses on finding the resistance value and tolerance of a resistor with specific color bands. The final problem involves comparing a measured resistance value to a calculated one and verifying the accuracy of Ohm's Law. The speaker requests help with these problems and advises not to simply post the problems without attempting to solve them first.
jensen91522
i have some questions.

1. Given two pieces of copper wire which have same length but different diameters and based on equation R=ρ(L/A),determine the relative resistance of a piece of wire provided that its diameter is twice as long as that of the other one.

2. Given a resistor with bands 1=blue,2=orange,3=green,4=silver;find the resistance value and tolerance.

3. Comparing the measured 6.522kΩ with the calculated one , state the error percentage
and verify whether the Ohm's Law is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please make an attempt at solving the problems on your own, and don't just post a set of problems.

I need help...please me!

Related to Electrical Questions: Resistance, Resistor & Ohm's Law

1. What is electrical resistance?

Electrical resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for an electric current to pass through a material. It is caused by the collisions of electrons with the atoms in a material and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electrical component that is used to control the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is designed to have a specific amount of resistance and is often used to limit the amount of current flowing through a circuit.

3. How is resistance related to Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. This means that as resistance increases, the current flowing through the conductor will decrease, and vice versa.

4. How do you calculate resistance?

Resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I), or R = V/I. It can also be calculated using the equation R = ρL/A, where ρ is the material's resistivity, L is the length of the material, and A is the cross-sectional area.

5. What factors affect resistance?

The three main factors that affect resistance are the material of the conductor, its length, and its cross-sectional area. Other factors that can impact resistance include temperature, the presence of impurities or defects in the material, and the type of current (AC or DC).