Electrical vs. civil engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision between studying civil engineering and electrical engineering. The individual expresses interest in infrastructure and the potential for a stable career in civil engineering. On the other hand, they recognize the versatility and diverse opportunities in electrical engineering. The conversation also mentions the dislike for chemistry and the potential challenges in both engineering fields. Ultimately, the suggestion is made to research and consider the required courses for each program and choose based on personal interests and willingness to commit to the necessary coursework.
I need to figure out which of these subjects to study, because they will require slightly different courses next semester.

Ever since I was little, I've been interested in infrastructure. Bridges, buildings, roads, pipelines, dams, etc. are all just really cool.

That's the argument for civil. On the electrical side:
a) it seems like EEs can do anything, they work on civil projects but also have options in manufacturing, programming, etc.
b) my math and coding skills are better than my 3D visual-spacial skills
c) civil requires me to take chem II, and I hate chemistry
d) CE appears pretty unstable (boom/bust) to me, I don't care about making a lot of money but I would hate to be unemployed

Help? My adviser wasn't very helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I noticed you expressed an interest in civil engineering but not so much electrical engineering. This should be significant in year decision.

How many college credits do you have? Have you taken statics, dynamics, and strength of materials? If you really enjoyed these, civil may be a good path for you.

If the Civil Engineering direction requires Chemistry 2 which you hate, you may simply view this as a temporary obstacle to move through. Be aware that the two semesters of General Chemistry may be somewhat different from each other; and if you hated Chem 1, you might find Chem 2 to be either different or less troublesome. No guaruntee - just a thought.

edgepflow said:
I noticed you expressed an interest in civil engineering but not so much electrical engineering. This should be significant in year decision.

How many college credits do you have? Have you taken statics, dynamics, and strength of materials? If you really enjoyed these, civil may be a good path for you.
I have more interest in the final products of civil. I don't know that the actual work process is any more interesting; if anything, I suspect that I might be better at EE.

Also, EEs can be involved with civil works (electrical systems in buildings, traffic control, electric transmission, etc.)

This is my first year of college (I have a lot of credits carrying over from high school, but they don't all apply to engineering). The programs at my university offer very little flexibility in this regard, however.
symbolipoint said:
If the Civil Engineering direction requires Chemistry 2 which you hate, you may simply view this as a temporary obstacle to move through. Be aware that the two semesters of General Chemistry may be somewhat different from each other; and if you hated Chem 1, you might find Chem 2 to be either different or less troublesome. No guaruntee - just a thought.
The lab is unfortunately pretty similar.

With the transition to the "smart grid", I hear there is a large demand for EE's that specialize in power systems. Maybe this is the place for you.

EE is the dopeness imo, but that has to do with what I like -- electronics, programming, etc.

Go to the engineering pages at your school. Look at the courses required for each program, and read the description of each. Which classes sound like ones you would be more willing to spend all of your free time on over the next few years? -- cause that is what you will be doing. . .

FAQ: Electrical vs. civil engineering

What is the difference between electrical and civil engineering?

Electrical engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while civil engineering focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of structures and infrastructure.

Which field has more job opportunities?

Both fields have a high demand for skilled professionals. However, electrical engineering may have more job opportunities in industries such as power generation, telecommunications, and electronics, while civil engineering may have more opportunities in construction, transportation, and environmental engineering.

What kind of projects do electrical engineers work on?

Electrical engineers work on a variety of projects such as designing and maintaining power systems, developing electronic devices, and designing communication systems.

What kind of projects do civil engineers work on?

Civil engineers work on projects related to building and maintaining infrastructure such as roads, bridges, buildings, and water systems. They also work on projects related to environmental engineering and urban planning.

Which field requires more advanced education?

Both fields require a bachelor's degree in engineering. However, in order to specialize and advance in their careers, many electrical engineers pursue a master's degree or Ph.D. On the other hand, civil engineers may also choose to pursue a master's degree, but it is not always necessary for career advancement.

Back