Electricity and Magnetism section in GRE Physics

In summary, The conversation is about preparing for the GRE Physics test and whether studying from the "Conquering GRE Physics" book is sufficient or if additional study from Griffiths' "Electrodynamics" book is necessary. The person suggests focusing on the topics covered in the GRE preparation book and deepening understanding from Griffiths, particularly in regards to Maxwell's equations. They advise understanding the derivation of equations rather than just memorizing them.
shahbaznihal
Hi,

I am taking GRE Physics this year and I am preparing from Conquering GRE Physics book and I have covered everything in that book on Electricity and Magnetism (yet to study Optics and Waves).

My question: How much from Griffith Electrodynamics book do I need to study? Or is the material in the book I am following sufficient and I should just study those topics from Griffiths?

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
The thing about the GRE and tests of this sort are that there are only certain kinds of questions that can be asked so using the study books as a basis and then reviewing material related to the study book topics is a sound strategy.

So I just go through the topics covered in the GRE preparation books and deepen their understanding from Griffiths?

I found that the "Conquering the Physics GRE" book did a good job on E&M (in my opinion). I know the book likes to present equations in the "who cares where it comes from, memorize it" kind of fashion, but know how each equation in the electrostatics/dynamics portion is derived and you should be fine for the pGRE. Make sure you know Maxwell's equations and how to use them (each equation has a "typical" question that goes with it).

Related to Electricity and Magnetism section in GRE Physics

1. What is the difference between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two closely related phenomena, and they are both forms of energy. The main difference between them is that electricity is the flow of electric charge, while magnetism is a force that acts on moving electric charges. In other words, electricity creates magnetism, and magnetism can induce electricity.

2. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

The relationship between electricity and magnetism is described by Maxwell's equations, which state that an electric current produces a magnetic field and a changing magnetic field induces an electric current. This relationship is known as electromagnetism and is a fundamental principle in physics.

3. What are the properties of an electric field?

An electric field is a region of space around an electric charge where other charges experience a force. The properties of an electric field include direction, magnitude, and the ability to do work. Electric fields are also affected by the distance between charges and the type of material they are in.

4. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field, which is a force that attracts or repels other magnets or magnetic materials. This is due to the alignment of tiny magnetic domains within the magnet. When these domains are aligned, they create a stronger magnetic field and can attract or repel other magnets.

5. What is the difference between magnetic materials and non-magnetic materials?

Magnetic materials, such as iron, cobalt, and nickel, have strong magnetic properties and can be easily magnetized. Non-magnetic materials, such as wood, plastic, and glass, do not have these properties and cannot be magnetized. However, all materials are affected by magnetic fields to some degree.